Saturday, June 15, 2024

Brats...

We watched Brats last night. It's a documentary based on the book Andrew McCarthy wrote about the Brat Pack label and what he felt it did to his, and the rest of the pack's careers. 

It was interesting to see his take on it, on the other's takes on it, and on the reaction to the author of the article who coined the term as well.

If you are a child of the 80s I think you'd find it enjoyable. Not all of the Brat Pack, or pack adjacent members are in it, but a small handful are and it's interesting to see how they all reacted.

But the part that I really got something from was an interview he did with Demi Moore and she said, and I'm paraphrasing here, there is the event, that happened you can't change that, but it's what you attach emotionally to the event that gives it weight and meaning. 

Which, I'm sure I've heard before. And she probably got from her therapist as well. But it really resonated last night. 

Things happen. They happen to all of us. And they can mean as much or as little as we decide they mean. That's the choice we make in life. 

I think that's why sometimes you see someone react to something in a way that you wouldn't and you are just sort of confused. Why are they doing that? This is not a big deal. It's just something that happened. But to them, they have attached some sort of feeling to it. Or some other meaning to it. So it is a big deal. 

And it's hard to understand what meaning people attach to things as well. Because we attach our own instead.

Like there are a lot of times I post something on social media and the reaction I get from friends is very different than what I thought I was expressing. Sometimes people assume I was sad about an event when really I am just marking it as a moment. Or they think I want bucked up when I really don't. I'm fine with whatever I'm feeling. There are times I have to ask Brent or Katie to read something and see what they took from it, to see if it's just that people who only know me on one level don't see what I was saying or if I really did just express myself badly. 

Usually, it's just that people don't see the world the way I do. 

Our attachments to events are very different.

It's not the event that means something, it's the emotion we attach to it. 

Every one of us is going to experience the same things, but we are all going to experience them in unique ways. 

I think that's why I like to think that the Universe has a plan, or is showing me something to pay attention to. Because if not, if things are just happening and there is no meaning behind it, then what is the point? 

The events happen. It's what we attach to them that make them have meaning.

That's going to replay in my brain for awhile I think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment