Sunday, July 21, 2024

Books Chapter 2...

 Books Chapter One

Gloria had been quiet the whole ride to Ellie’s house. Her mother had tried to engage her in conversation, “How was your day?”, “What is your favorite subject?” those sorts of questions, but she had only given short answers. Enough to be polite. Barely.

She still couldn’t believe she was going to have to go to Ellie’s house every day for a whole week. She knew it was her own fault, but she still hated that she was being forced to do it.

“You girls get started on your homework and I’ll make you a snack.”

Gloria followed Ellie up to her room. “A snack? Your mom makes you a snack after school?”

Ellie shrugged, “Yeah? Don’t you have a snack after school?”

Gloria just shook her head. “It will ruin your dinner.” That’s always what her mother told her, but she also understood there were no snacks to be had. They didn’t buy extras at the store; they bought what they needed and no more. Her mother said anything more than that was wasteful. But she knew it was also expensive.

A snack. Everyday. She just shook her head.

When Ellie opened the door to her room Gloria just stood on the threshold and stared. It was like something out of the Sears catalog. Not the rainbow room thank goodness, she would have never been able to handle that, but it was amazing. She had an honest to goodness canopy bed. And a set of dresser drawers that matched. And a desk. And… Gloria could feel her heart starting to pound, a bookshelf filled with books.

Ellie pointed over to the other side of the room, “Mom had Dad bring in Missy’s old desk for you so you can do your worksheets there if you want. Or I can take it if you would rather have the window. I don’t mind.”

Ellie’s desk looked out on their backyard where Missy’s old desk was facing a wall. But the wall had a giant mural painted on it. A mural of The Wizard of Oz. She turned and looked, and you could see the yellow brick road wrapping all around Ellie’s room.

“Yeah, I know, it’s from when I was a baby. Mom says I can paint it next year, but I have to decide what color and I don’t know.”

“You want to paint over this? This is amazing.”

“Really? You don’t think it’s too babyish? I’m always afraid people will think it’s too babyish.”

“Well, I don’t. And who’s Missy?”

“Missy is my older sister. She’s technically my half-sister but Mom doesn’t like me to say that. She thinks it cheapens the relationship. But we don’t really have a relationship, so I don’t care. She lives with us sometimes. But mostly stays with her mom. They have a pool and she has two rooms there so she says she doesn’t like to slum it with us.”

“Wow you really do just say everything don’t you?”

Ellie scowled, “I don’t like it when people keep secrets or tell lies. I don’t understand why people don’t just say what they mean all the time. I think the world would be better without secrets.”

“Maybe. But sometimes that’s how you know who to trust. If they keep your business between just you and them and don’t tell everyone else.”

“Maybe. So which desk do you want?”

“I’ll use Missy’s. I like your mural.”

Gloria finished the three worksheets they had for homework quickly and then started to read one of her new books. When Ellie’s mother called them downstairs to have a snack, she closed the book and wrote something in her notebook before leaving the room.

“What was that?”

“What?”

“What did you write down?”

“I wrote down the page number I was on so I know where to start again.”

“Why didn’t you just fold down the corner of the page?”

Gloria sighed, “I hate when people do that. It messes up the book.”

Ellie smiled, “Me too! And when people write in books?”

Gloria shook her head, “That’s the worst! People underline words or write notes on the pages! Why do they do that?”

“Isn’t it awful? I hate it. Missy colors in her books. Like just draws pictures and colors them! And my mother doesn’t understand why I don’t want her hand me down books.”

After they finished their peanut butter and apple slices, they went back up to Ellie’s room. “Want to see what I do?”

“What you do?”

“With my books.” With that Ellie pulled a book off of her shelf and opened the front cover. But only part way. “I never open them all the way because it makes lines in the spine. My mother lays her books out flat, sometimes it makes the pages loose and they fall out.” She let that horror sit with Gloria for a moment before handing her the book and the paper. “See? Those are things I like in the book. Words that I like the feel of in my head or things people say that I think sound cool. I put down the page number and write down the line. Then I use that paper as a bookmark. But I think I’m going to do what you do and write down the page in my notebook instead. That way I don’t have to worry about wet ink getting on the pages.”

Gloria read the notes page Ellie had kept. It was actually a book she had checked out from the library a few weeks ago and she saw that Ellie liked a lot of the words she had liked as well. And knew exactly what she had meant by feeling those words in her head. Sometimes when she was reading she would find a word that just seemed like she could touch it. Some were soft and some were rough, but they all had texture to them. The girls spent the next hour talking about the book they had both read and liked so much.

“You can borrow any of my books that you want. Especially if you talk to me about them after you read them. Nobody reads the same books as I do and sometimes, I just want to talk about the stories when I’m done.”

Gloria agreed, how could she resist? Ellie had shelves and shelves of books she had never read before.

Years later when people would ask how they had met and become best friends they would say there were in a Scholastic Book Fair Clubbing together and they would laugh that laugh that longtime friends have that says to the rest of the world, you wouldn’t get the joke, so don’t ask us to explain.

Book Chapter Three

No comments:

Post a Comment