Friday, July 21, 2023

Today!

I used to love going to the movies. Just a few years ago it was one of my very favorite things to do. For my birthday we would often see multiple movies in one weekend. Just spend as much time at the theater as possible. 

The pandemic changed that. We got used to watching on the big TV at home. And, granted, we have a nice set up. The really big TV, the sound bar, the comfy couch, the blackout curtains. It all works nicely. I found that I really didn't miss the movie theater much. And then when the pandemic was over and we went to see a couple of things in the theater I realized I really prefer watching at home.

It means I don't get to see things right away. I see things knowing more about them than I would like. I don't get to be part of the fun buzzy talk on opening weekend. But I also don't have anyone kicking my seat, or talking, or chewing loudly. I don't have to sit through a half hour of previews. I can pause the movie if I need to pee and not miss anything. I can set the volume at the right level and not get my ears blasted out. 

The positives outweigh the negatives. 

So all of that to say I'm not seeing Barbie or Oppenheimer this weekend. Even though in my past life I would probably be one of those Barbenheimer people seeing both. I think they will both be really good. Very different, but both good.

I love Greta Gerwig. I think she makes really clever stuff. I enjoy Margot Robbie. I think she's super talented. I just think it's going to be a fun movie with a lot more going on than people originally thought when they heard the title. 

I trust Christopher Nolan. You know how some directors you start rolling your eyes as soon as they are announced? Nolan for me is the opposite. I will go on whatever journey he is taking me on and trust that it's going to be good (to be fair I have not seen Tenet). Cillian Murphy is amazing. Emily Blunt and Florence Pugh are favorites. I mean, this is going to be amazing. 

And we will wait and watch them in a few months and it will be fine. 

I am feeling very nostalgic for my Barbies right now. I had a good sized collection. Even had the Barbie Dream House with Working Elevator (you pulled a string and it went up, you let go and it crashed down). I'm not sure how my parents afforded it but I got that and a huge wardrobe/accessory collection one year for Christmas. I also played with them for much longer than most. I was probably 12 before I abandoned them altogether.  And, I'm sure this is going to be a real shock to you all, they had really complex storylines. I told big stories with a ton of dialog and I think the best part is I didn't have to name anyone. They were already named. Barbie, Ken, Skipper, Midge, GI Joe...easy peasy. 

Though years later watching a special on Barbie history I realized that I didn't actually have a Midge, I had one of the original Barbies with brunette hair. She had been a hand me down from someone. I would think Susan but she still had her hair and Susan tended to cut off all of her dolls' hair, I had a bald Barbie who had no name, at least not outloud, in my head I called her Crazy Sue. So even when I had names I had the wrong names!

So part of me really wants to be see the Barbie movie today. But it will be okay. I'll wait. And I'll pretend I've made my own Barbie movie with a torrid love affair between Ken and Midge and GI Joe coming in to kidnap Barbie making them all realize that her house was a little too crowded with all of them living there anyway...and..and...and...

Okay, maybe not.

What I will be excited to see today is the opening game for the USWNT in the World Cup. There is a Thorns game tonight as well, but it's starting before the other would finish and when we have conflicting games we always choose the more important one. And World Cup is THE important tournament. 

Let's Fucking Go!!

This Barbie is watching World Cup....


No comments:

Post a Comment