Sunday, July 16, 2023

Sunday...

It's been a sort of lazy Sunday.

Brent and I slept in (7:40 before we rolled out of bed which is basically 8 which is practically 10 which is like sleeping until noon) then worked on the sprinklers in the front. I replaced a couple of the heads but we have one type of system and the replacement parts I bought were for another and they aren't quite right. We could replace the entire sprinkler assembly or just wait until Tuesday when the irrigation guy is coming to fix and issue with the drip system in the back yard and see if he can fix the spray pattern in the front...

I voted for waiting. Brent was all ready to go back to Lowe's and get a whole new assembly and try that. All I could picture was the fact that it had already moved from this will be a quick screw turn fix to an oh this one piece needs to be replaced to now this OTHER piece needs to be replaced and where would it end?

Which is kind of always the theme with home projects right? Rarely is it actually the one quick thing you think you need to do. You start there and it just grows outward. 

Sort of like when I had Brent's military certificates framed and ended up buying a new couch. 

Which then indirectly led to us moving in to a new house. 

It spirals is what I'm saying. 

And, of course, the ironic thing is that those original framed pieces still aren't on the walls here. 

It spirals and it becomes something else entirely.

So, anyway, I'm waiting until Tuesday to see if the irrigation guy can make it work. 

I'm already tired of having a yard. I wish the HOA didn't make you have one. I would tear it out so fast it would make your head spin. There would be a lovely decorative rock and wildflower landscape out there. Or maybe clover. I've seen a few all clover lawns and they are really lovely. Lower maintenance. Lower water needs. Still green but with flowers so everybody is happy.

After I finished futzing with the sprinklers and Brent did some moving of the mulch and the drainage rocks we retired to the back porch and enjoyed the shade and the breeze. It's going to be another 90 degree day today but that back area stays shady for a while so it's pretty pleasant even on the hottest days. That was a good project. 

That started out as one thing and spiraled into more. 

But the end result is great. 

Mostly. I mean I already know I want to change some of the plants that were put in. Take out the ones right on the fence line with Pam's house. I think we are going to dig the dirt back from the fence and put down river rock then get some planters for that area instead of the things that are there now. I don't think they are that pretty and Brent is worried about the dirt touching the wood and rotting it quicker than it should. 

Projects spiral. 

I've decided to wait a season to see the yard in full before I start yanking shit out, but I'm pretty sure that at least those things will go. And possibly some of the decorative grasses they filled our corner rock feature with. I'm not sure I care about those. Might replace them with some prettier ground cover type plants. Ones that are green, but with flowers instead of just green and yellow grass. 

Part of the problem I have is that the things I grew up with in a yard that I think (because I grew up with them) are perfect are desert things. They wouldn't last the winter or the wet springs. So I'm trying to figure out what will work and what won't. What looks good and what doesn't. 

When I sit out on my shaded lovely back porch I stare at the yard and think about the things I want to change. 

But for now it's just thinking about them. 

Nice sort of lazy Sunday morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment