Saturday, July 29, 2023

Oh That's a Metaphor...

Brent is a gadget guy. He LOVES him some gadgets. If they have technology behind them, or are green in some way (environmental, not color) even better. But he LOVES gadgets. Instagram has figured out how much he loves gadgets and pushes little "you need this" videos at him all the time. Which, if he agrees, he sends to me. I'm the gatekeeper. If it looks cool to me as well I'll do a little research and then order. If not I just close the video and shake my head. Most of the time it works. Sometimes the package shows up at the door anyway. 

So a few weeks ago he sent me a little clip of someone with a little bamboo tray under their mixer and it made it slide easily. Oh well this is actually something that would be useful. I did a little quick research to see if it really did work as smoothly as she was showing and everyone who has a heavy Kitchenaid mixer was like YES! This is the thing I never knew I needed and now know I always did! 

I bought it. I set it up. And it's wonderful. Slide out to use, slide back under the cabinet when done. Easy peasy...

Except when I slid it back last week and got a pinky full of bamboo slivers from a rough edge I hadn't noticed. Son of a bitch...I do fully understand how bamboo under the fingernails could lead to whatever confession you wanted. These were in the skin on the side of the finger and I'm pretty sure I told Brent I personally faked the moon landing and was the third shooter in the JFK assassination. 

I got out the slivers and moved on with life. 

A few days later the spot hadn't really healed up yet. There was a bump there. Hunh, must not have gotten them all out. Bamboo is pale, my skin is pale, it's not easy to see them; easy enough to fix. Got the magnifying glass back out and poked around a little and oh yeah there was a really long one still there. Pulled it out and went on with life. 

Yesterday I'm looking at my finger and it's STILL not all the way healed and there is still a bump there. Back out with the glass, shine the bright light on it, get out the other smaller set of tweezers and pull out yet another piece. It's starting to remind me of that trip to Hawaii where the stinger thing in the ocean got the arch of my foot in the gap between my foot and my swim fin and I was pulling out tiny little stingers for weeks. 

How much bamboo is in there?

I'm not willing to say it's all gone just yet. I'll wait and see if it heals this time. Or if there is more work to do. 

In the meantime I'll keep moving on with life. 

Trauma is like that. Sometimes we think we've got it all taken care of. Have moved on with our lives and then...Oh wait, that's not healed just yet. 

The best we can do is just keep working at it. Keep pulling those slivers out. Keep treating the wound. Keep moving forward the best that you can. 

And do pay attention to the gadgets your husband is looking at or you will end up with a house full of stuff...



No comments:

Post a Comment