Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Reely?

So I've been doing the Fat Mum Slim challenge this month, but it's not the normal picture of the day challenge, it's a reel a day. First I'm going to give you the whole side eye portion I started with...

Facebook decided a few years ago to really push videos. They told advertiser that they got more reach and more interaction with brands. Then they went about trying to swallow up any competition. TikTok did not bite so they decided to try to replace them. With reels. They started prioritizing reels on Instagram (you were wondering where you lovely photos went right?) and tucking them into Stories on Facebook as well. They REALLY wanted you to like reels. Reely. 

But people don't. Turns out they were lying about the advertising and people hate video ads. They hate video news. People would rather read. You can skim or skip to the highlights or read and reread a portion if you need to or want to. Or if you are fast reader you get the same information in a minute that takes 5 in a video. In an instant world that's an eternity. 

But Facebook has invested a lot into making this a thing. So they had a big "Hey, you're an influencer!" get together and pushed reels. Hard. They taught people how to make them, what to focus on, what to do in them to get people engaged and then sent them off with a mission. You make reels and you get other people to make reels!

So when Chantelle posted about doing this, she was upfront that it was from this influencer meeting, I rolled my eyes. Oh please...

But then I thought, I never use the reels feature myself. I have watched my share of kitten content and comedy bits, but I'm not one to put my face in the screen like that. I know from the number of selfies and makeup free selfies I post you all wouldn't think it would be a challenge, but it is. One of the reasons you get so many, well, not flattering, shots is that I rarely retake a picture. There has to be something really wrong for me to do it again. I take the shot and post it before I can talk myself out of it. 

So reels would be an actual challenge. 

Even if Facebook is trying to manipulate people into using them. 

But honestly I've been Skinner boxed by Facebook for years so why would this be any different?

So I'm 16 reels into the month and...

I've done just me talking to the camera about the prompt for the day.
I've done photo montages with background music.
I've done a little lip syncing.
Today I'm planning on doing an unboxing video. As the youths do...

And it's been interesting. I have to think about the prompts differently. I have to think visually in a different way than a static photo. I wanted to try a few of the features out. The filters, the music, the text over the shots (haven't done that one yet, I still have a few days). 

I wanted to give it the full range before I decided it really wasn't for me. 

And so far that's where I am. I might work a video or two into my month after this, maybe, but probably not. 

Brent said for years I should do something on YouTube. He thinks I'm very clever, you see. But then YouTube started really getting shitty about monetization and hiding gay content and it just lost its sparkle. But he still thinks some sort of Vlog to go with the Blog would be good. He's got a lot of confidence in my ability to capture the imagination of the masses. I remind him that my three blog readers might agree but that makes three...he doesn't read the blog so that's why it's not four. 

I'm still glad I'm trying it, even though it's not captured my interest, or anyone else's for that matter. 

Just 15 more to go...


No comments:

Post a Comment