Wednesday, May 31, 2023

May Days Done...

And that's a wrap on May. 

Writing goals still on target. A little ahead on nonfiction pieces and if I count the banked ones I've been sending to Dana a little ahead on those as well. Which is good. It's becoming harder and harder instead of easier to get these done. I think I'm fighting the "good enough" monster. Like there is a lot of good enough happening right now and not a lot of oh I like that. But that's the point of this BIG challenge. To not let the perfect become the enemy of the good. To just keep things going consistently. 

Reading is plugging along. I wrote about the self help book and that it was another not really applicable book. I think I'm going to pick up the book Skippy recommended just for the title this month. If one of the other ones I have on hold at the library come free today I will change my mind, but I think it's going to be Existential Kink. How funny is that title? 

For the biography/memoir/autobiography I read Ari Shapiro's book. It was so good. Now, I will say I always feel like a sort of Portland tie to him. I mean he's from Beaverton. He sings with Pink Martini. Just because we listen to him on NPR doesn't mean he's not a home town boy. But even without that I think you'd find it enjoyable. He's a good story teller, on the radio and in print. 

The Fantastic Stranglings book was so good. It was like Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiaasen had a literary baby and she wrote a book about hunting serial killers. Just odd, and wonderful, people with really unique characters. Highly recommend it, if you are into that sort of thing.  (Edit: I realized I told you how good it was without telling you the title! It's called Killing Me by Michelle Gagnon)

Working out is fine. I'm bored with it. Not the routine I'm doing but doing it in general. Which isn't a thing I can really be. I have arthritis that gets very painful if I don't keep moving. I know this. Logically I understand that I need to do weight bearing workouts multiple times a week to keep the joints lubricated. I have a history of heart disease. I know I need to do cardio multiple times a week to keep my heart from giving up the ghost. Giving up and making me a ghost? Logically I know this. But it's still so hard when you just don't want to do it. I've been doing it anyway but am trying to figure out if there is a tweak I can do to find, not enjoyment so much, but ditch the complete blah about it. 

I know I've talked about not focusing on weight anymore and just focusing on health but I am going to focus on weight a little bit in June. My wardrobe is designed around me being a certain size and I've been creeping up lately, if I creep much more I'm going to have a packed closet of things I can't fit. Which is no bueno. So I'm hoping to get that number to inch back down. 

It's the sugar. I know it's the sugar. I have not ever been able to convince myself to go back to no added sugar during the week. Even thought LOGICALLY I know how bad excess sugar is for us. I know it negatively affects every single system we have in our bodies. But it just tastes so good. 

Still waiting on a few things to get finished around the house. Really hopeful those will be done by the end of June. 

June is also Pride month and with the new anti LGBTQ+ agenda being pushed by the unholy union of Evangelical and Republican hate mongers it's going to be an ugly one I think. Not going to stop my happy ass from wearing my rainbows and posting my thoughts, but I know it's going to be ugly out there. It's so weird to see that all come surging back so strong. For awhile the bigots went into hiding, now they are all out in force. And joined with the bots and the troll farms and the lolz searchers. It's just really tiresome to see. 

So five months down. Still churning. 

On to June! 

No comments:

Post a Comment