Thursday, November 17, 2022

Stalling...

I'm writing right now instead of working on other things I want to get done today. Because I'm at a time crossroads. The things I need to still do are each going to take a chunk of time to complete. And once I start I don't want to stop. But the patio people are here working on finishing the back porch and I think, hope, assume they will be done soonish. I mean they had 45 minutes or so of work to finish and it's getting close to 3 hours that they've been here so...

I honestly feel really good about myself that I didn't actually laugh at the guy yesterday evening when he said that they had about 45 minutes more work to do to finish up but it was close. 

The work was supposed to be done back in October, but the system comes from Florida and the company that produces it got hit by the hurricane before it was shipped out so it got pushed. Now the original push was to December so when the guy contacted me and was so excited to let me know that it was now going to be November I almost laughed. Yay only a month later than you originally said, not two! But still, good news. They would come Tuesday and it should take about 4 hours or so. 

So Tuesday comes and they aren't here. And they aren't here. And they aren't here. Finally I get a text that they will be here around 11:30. Okay, fine I'd have started first thing in the morning but I guess other work took priority. They finally got here around noon, after a few breaks and lunch and some work getting the framing started, the sun set and it was too dark to finish. They let me know that they had had a few hiccups but would come back first thing Wednesday to finish up. Great. Fine. 

Wednesday they finally showed up around 2 or so. They worked again until dark. This time working about an hour after the sunset. Then let me know that they would be back first thing today to finish up and it would take only about 45 more minutes. Sure...

I guess they've never actually installed one of these systems before and it's a little different than the normal work they do but holy cow has this taken awhile. So I didn't laugh at them but I also didn't expect it would take about 45 minutes more. 

Though over three hours more is a little bit on the outside of even my estimate. 

I've done a few things around the house that were easy enough to stop when they finished but now I'm stuck waiting on them. Which is what happened yesterday. I waited around in the morning instead of going out and running errands so Brent wouldn't have to deal with them while trying to work. It didn't end up working out that way. I ran out of things that I could do here and keep moving forward and really needed to get those errands done so I decided to head out. Then they texted letting me know they were on the way. Fine, I let them know they could just let themselves in to the back yard and if they finished before I got back to knock on the front door and Brent would help them. Not ideal but I figured the odds were I'd get back before they were completely done. 

I mean, I did. And then some.

So here I sit taking the time to waste some time and get in a few words for my day while also trying desperately to hold on to the motivation to get back to cleaning the house when they finally leave. 

Hopefully before it gets dark outside...

No comments:

Post a Comment