Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Couldn't Hide Forever...

It's been a long time since I had an installment of the Pandemic Diaries. 

We had thought we might be the odd ones out. Neither Brent nor I had ever tested positive. Even with him travelling during the peak of it all. Katie had a telemed diagnosis early on in 2020 but never actually had a test (there weren't ones yet) and thinks she probably didn't actually have it considering what else we learned about symptoms and duration later. 

People all around us caught it. We lost family and friends at the beginning to it. Our friends who hadn't caught it before started catching it this summer as the new variants hit. We know a few people who have had it repeatedly, but not us. Still Covid free heading into 2023!

And then...

I was sick a couple of weeks ago. Nasty head cold. Congestion and some lethargy. A little touch of laryngitis. Brent never caught my cold and I tested a few times with no Covid. Then Sunday he started to get a pull in his throat. We were trying to figure out if it was my cold. It would have been about 14 days after I first got symptoms but maybe it was that long of a gestation? But then his symptoms started to progress in a different way. Fever when I didn't have one. Really intense congestion where I had a congestion but also a runny nose. And I felt bad the first day of full blown symptoms then progressively better each day after whereas he's felt progressively worse each day. 

And then this morning he had a fever of 102. 

Took his third Covid test since Sunday and this one came back positive. 

Well hell. 

We did not escape the germs. 

Got Dr. McCormick on the phone and did a telehealth visit and she called in a Paxlovid prescription for him. He'll start that tonight and hopefully by tomorrow night will feel much better. 

And hopefully Katie and I don't catch it. 

We aren't doing the isolation thing. Figure he was probably the most contagious Sunday and Monday before he really got cooking on symptoms and we have all been around each other the whole time. The house is also all one floor, all one ventilation system so it's not like we have someplace to go where germs won't drift. We are fully vaxxed and fairly healthy so if we get it, we get it. 

It would be a bummer considering we are heading into a holiday weekend so she and I might not be able to get the Paxlovid, but that's the way the nose runs sometimes. 

I'm also glad that Katie and I chose to wear our masks this week as we ran errands everywhere. With Brent having a cold we figured even though he was at home we could be contagious so it was the polite thing to do. Now that I know he has Covid not a cold I'm really glad we went with polite. 

Which, honestly, it bums me out that more people aren't following that rule. We hear people out now all the time just coughing and snuffling and no masks in sight. We learned nothing from the past few years. Except that protecting people from your germs is somehow not your job?

I don't get it. I don't think I ever will get it. 

Not like Covid...which it looks like I'm totally going to get. 

Nothing like finishing the challenge writing fever dream fiction! 

Good luck to us all... 

No comments:

Post a Comment