Friday, November 11, 2022

Just a Little Hiccup...

It's actually kind of funny. I mean I should have planned for it really. 

I have a cold. It used to be (looking back at past Novembers and NaNos) that I got a cold every stinking year. That I would be blazing along on my word count and then BOOM! Stopped. But it's been so long since I've done a November writing challenge and so long since I've had any sort of real cold that I just didn't bank in the time. 

Since the start of the pandemic I've been sick, like actually sick, only after vaccines and boosters. Reaction to the shot, wiped out for a day, day and half, back at it like nothing happened. I've had a couple of times where I thought maybe I was getting sick but it didn't last long, or turned out to be allergies. But this week? Full on head cold. 

I've taken a couple of covid tests just to make sure...which made me think, when will that stop being the norm? Get sick, take a covid test just incase. I mean, covid is going to be with us forever it looks like. Will it always be your first thought when you get sick? Will we always test to just make sure? Or will it become like the flu, only test if you get REALLY sick?

I kind of knew I was screwed last weekend. Everywhere we went we could hear people hacking and snuffling. And we've stopped wearing masks unless we are going to be packed in someplace with little airflow. We figure the whole reason we were vaccinated and boosted was to be able to go out again. But people did not learn the "if you are sick stay home, or at least wear a mask in public" lesson. And then the final topper was the adorable little germ factory in front of us at the hockey game on Sunday. 

Nose running, phlegmy cough, adorable little germ factory. He was turned around in his seat playing peek a boo with us as much as watching the game (I mean he wasn't even two yet, the fact that he was entertained by the crowd for over two hours without a melt down was impressive). But yeah, I thought, it's going to be amazing if I make it without a cold. 

It was not amazing. 

But it was interesting. Like I said, it's been awhile. Monday started with a headache, Tuesday I had a little pull in my throat. Wednesday I felt proper sick, run down, headache, throat pull, runny nose starting. Thursday when I woke up and said something to Brent he said, "Woah, you're sick." Well, yeah, I've been telling you I was sick. But I get what he meant, I had the raspy voice thing going. Today is the I feel better but sound worse. We are in that stage. So a couple more days, hopefully, and it will all be gone. 

I do have a few things I have to do today so I will be masking up and taking care of them. That's the big change for me from the pandemic times. I will wear a mask if I have to go in public even if I'm on the mend from a cold. I wish everyone had taken that lesson. 

The other thing that sort of made me laugh was the realization that I haven't bought tissues in almost three years. I bought a multipack when they were restocked from being totally out at the beginning of the pandemic and I haven't since. If you aren't getting colds you don't go through a ton of tissue. Though I'm making up for it now and if Brent ends up catching this then he will need some as well. Time to restock. 

But the bummer is that it does put me quite behind on writing goals. I was starting to find a daily groove and then took a couple days off. And today's is just a "I have a code in my node" post so it won't be too many words at all. But at least it's some. And I will work on getting back into the groove. Hopefully I will remember the things I had in my head to write about before my head got too sore to write...

I know there were two fiction lines that were trying to become full stories and there was a bitching about the videos on Facebook and Instagram post..hopefully there will be more. As always, I'm open to suggestions. 

But there you go. Feeling snotty but not in my normal way...hopefully that will pass quickly and we can get back to our normal snotty posts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment