Saturday, January 2, 2021

More Goals!

 Can you believe I actually forgot to list a few of my goals yesterday?

I know right? I listed so many how could there be more?

Well like a Ronco commercial just when you think you are done...wait there's more!

These are the sort of nebulous ones. The ones that I'm not sure yet exactly how I am going to measure them. I think that's why I forgot about them yesterday. There isn't a check mark I can tick that said today I did x...but I'm still going to work on these things.

First of the forgotten... Less Amazon shopping. This one is tricky. I love the ease of shopping on Amazon. Though the speed of shipping with the slow down from the pandemic that has sort of left the equation, yet they've still charge me the full Prime membership cost that should include the super fast shipping. No credit there. Which is part of my issue.

Amazon (Google, Facebook) have cornered markets. We could all see it coming but they had us. They hooked us by convenience and then they were able to squeeze out their competition. Why would I order something from someone else and have to wait two weeks for delivery when I could order the same thing from Amazon and have it tomorrow? But then something infuriating started to happen. You would order that thing from Amazon, your brand new Widget, and end up with a Wudget. Complain to Amazon and get the refund when it's returned but notice that the sale link for Widget is still up, knowing full well that what people are going to get is a Wudget. 

So many counterfeit products and so little give a fuck from Amazon. Because why should they care? Honestly. They get their percentage no matter what and a lot of people aren't going to notice that the reason the thing they ordered isn't exact is because it's a copy not the actual thing. Add that to the times they would welcome in a small seller only to watch what they were selling, steal those ideas, and then promote their own version above it. Just not okay.

And then I've have a few friends who have gone to work for Amazon and none of them have had good things to say. They are lured in by the promise of better pay and benefits and then find out that you will be getting those because they work the fuck out of you. And you better keep up because there are other people waiting behind you to get those "good" jobs. And I'm fine that some jobs are hard work, but I'm not fine when they want you to work like a robot while watching you with robots they want to take the jobs in the end run anyway all while bragging on how much better they pay. 

So finally Brent and I reached the point where we needed to accept that our desire for things RIGHT NOW was not a good enough reason to keep using Amazon as our primary shopping location. Yes, it's going to mean we have to be patient (not my strong suit) and in some cases it will mean still buying from Amazon, either because there isn't an equivalent that is out there able to be shipped or because the vendor themselves only works through an Amazon shop, but I am going to buy fewer things from Amazon this year. 

The next one sort of ties with the last one...More flexibility. It's not really supposed to be flexibility in thinking and patience, but that works too. But actually working on my flexibility. As I've aged I've really tightened up. Part is what I've focused on. I've spent more time with weights and less time on the mats but I hadn't really noticed until this year that my hip flexors and my back are just tight all the time. I've always had short hamstrings, but the rest is weird. I've been closer to hyperflexible than tight my whole life. It's reached the point where the tightness is uncomfortable and I want to work towards fixing that. I think I will be able to get a measuring tape out and mark some progress with this, but not sure. But more flexibility. Mental and physical.

And to work with mental part of the flexibility, I'm going to give mindfulness/meditation/relaxation another shot. I picked up the Calm app for one of their sleep programs (shockingly it didn't work for me) but they have a whole host of other things that look interesting and since I already paid for the subscription I might as well take advantage of the programs. That is part of the January #DailyCalm prompts I talked about yesterday. But I am hoping to use them to help get my focus back from the 2020 wander. 

And last one I forgot to mention! Remember last year when we were going to try the anti-inflammatory diet when we got back from Disneyworld? And then when we got back from Disneyworld the world fell apart? Yeah...well...I'm going to try that this year. See if either of us are having reactions to food. If we can feel better by eating, or not eating, certain things then that would be great. I think that will probably be February when we start that. First I want to clear out the cabinets and freezer so January will be a cleanse month. Not like a juice cleanse, but a cabinet cleanse. I hate the idea of finding out that yeah, dairy makes my joints hurt when I have a bunch of dairy in the freezer. Or meat. Or nightshades. Or what ever else I'm going to be wiping out. So we will eat it all first to prevent the waste. Then in February (or whenever I get down to not much left in reserve) we will do the program and see what we find out. 

I'm super torn on this one. Which is stupid. My joints hurt right now. Part of it is weight related, I know. And that's why losing weight is on the schedule for this year. But part of it isn't. My fingers are stiff and sore more mornings than not. That's not a weight thing. That's just arthritis. So if I find that by eliminating certain foods my body will feel better that's a good thing. Except I'm worried that I will be eliminating foods that I really like. Which is stupid right? Why in the world would I want to eat things that I know will make me feel bad? Well because sugar is delicious, Kyle...that's why.

But yeah...I know. 

So there you go. The extras. I didn't really forget them, just kind of. But now I've remembered and shared them. 

And today's Daily Calm prompt is:

Tell a friend about your goal and how they can support you. 

So consider yourself told and your support is the same as always, keeping reading my stuff and telling me I'm brilliant. Easy. (I'm kidding, I know sometimes pretending I'm brilliant is something you can only pull off because I can't see your face or hear your tone)

I think that's it for the 2021 ALL OF THE GOALS list. 

Again...Happy New Year! (It's really a weekend celebration at this point right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment