Friday, December 20, 2019

Where's the Story?

So this morning I was thinking about writing and I was trying to figure out where my Christmas story was. December is often a pretty good spot for me for a themed story. It's kind of a story telling month really. And I've written stories (yes, these will all be links, knock yourself out) about believing in Santa, the companion piece to that about having Santa as your higher power, one more in this series about what happened next. I've written dark Christmas stories, and a piece about Krampus with a companion piece about Santa, and then last year was the series that started on Halloween and took a turn at Christmas from what I thought I was writing about. 

See? That's a pretty good list there. Lots of things. But this year I just haven't had anything and I couldn't figure out why.

So today I took the old fashioned story generator idea out and cleaned house. Dusting, mopping, all the really tedious things that let your mind wander until it finds an idea and I thought about...

2020. How that's going to go. Having a year without goals, will it be okay? Am I really worried about it? Am I not? I have some ideas of things I am going to do, but that's not the same as a goal right? Mapping out where I want to be at the end of the year isn't the same as setting number targets, right? Hmmm....

I thought about the next week, it's Christmas you know, and what I still needed to get done. I told Brent this morning that I'm not really sweating it at all. I mean we have our holiday pared down to just the barest of traditions so there isn't much to worry about. But the fact that I'm totally relaxed probably means I'm forgetting something right? I needed to make a grocery list, settling on the Christmas Eve movie, wrap one last gift when it shows up, pick up Christopher at the airport, hit the mall for stocking stuff. I mean there is stuff to do, but I'm not behind at all so I think it's okay.

I thought about the gym. I haven't been since I got sick and let me tell you, I was working up a sweat cleaning house today. Definitely need to get back. Just a few weeks off (even for a good reason) wrecks your system. Then I thought more about 2020 and if there was a goal...and I stopped myself. Nope.

I thought about the books I am currently reading. One of them is one of those books that gets recommended to you all of the time. The book was highly rated, it was turned into a movie that was highly rated, there is FINALLY a sequel book that people are so excited about and so I put it on hold at the library and 3 months later it's here and I've started it and...well.

I'm not sure if I'm too old for it, the main character is 17 and it's a romance story between him and a 24 year old, and all I can think is that at 17 and 24 that's a really important 7 years. Even if it was 20 and 27 it would be bordering on well...but not as solidly not okay as this. But I'm trying. Maybe I'm being too harsh. I dated a 21 year old when I was 15 so it's pretty much the same. Though I have no fucking clue why my parents let that happen, that's a big age gap at that age...anyway...

And the other book I'm reading is by an author I generally love. He's a humorist and his stuff is just great. This is...well...it's long. That's what I've come up with so far.

But I don't want to abandon either book just yet. I'd like to finish them out this year though so I can start clean with something fun in 2020.

Which pretty soon I'll have to decide what to do about the Goodreads reading challenge. I don't want to leave it blank because I know that it will drive me crazy to have a blank year. It already makes me crazy to have two blank years at the beginning of the list before I realized it was a thing they did, or used Goodreads enough, or something. Either way there are two years listed as just the years while the others all have ornate COMPLETED badges. So yeah, I need to plug in a number there but not one that I will have any trouble reaching because no goals, but still not too low because it will look weird. And...

Still no story idea.

So I gave up. If I get an idea I'll write it. If not I'll just not have a fiction piece this December and that's okay too.

And then the little voice in the back of my head spoke up and said, "You already wrote a short piece this December, don't you remember?"

And the bigger voice in the front said, "Clearly not or I wouldn't have spent so much time thinking about it today."

And the little voice said, "Well yeah, you did it a few weeks ago. It's short, all dialog, whiskers on kittens..."

Ha! Well there you go.

Christmas is done man....


No comments:

Post a Comment