Friday, December 13, 2019

Soup for Thought...

Who do you think was the first person to try soup?

Do you think it was cold soup first and then hot? Like originally it was just the juices from eating were left and someone slurped those up and thought, hey now, this isn't half bad.

Cooked food in and of itself is always interesting to think about. Like did it happen by accident? After a fire people found animals that had burnt and decided to try eating them? So maybe hot soup was the same way. Cleaning vegetables or cooking meat and then discovering the broth was tasty so maybe do it on purpose. Or figuring out that boiling the skins made them more pliable but hey, that smells good now so...

Who knows.

Soup.

So yeah, I've been eating a LOT of soup this week. Happens when you are sick. Soup is manageable. It's warm so it feels good on a sore throat. If you have some already made or in a can it's easy. Campbell's Well Yes! canned soup doesn't have added sugar so I've been using that. The chicken noodle and chicken and rice are super bland so you'll need hot sauce, but the tomato versions are good and the beef with black barley is really tasty.

A lot of soup.

My sister and I figured out that soup is a mourning food for both of us as well. I think because when you are grieving everything seems like too much work. Even chewing. So soup gets nutrients in you without the work.

In the next week or so I will make green chile stew because it's the right time of year for it. So soup is good for sick, mourning and tradition. And when you are chilled and can't get warm. A hug from the inside, wasn't that someone's advertising slogan?

Soup.

OH my god guys I'm so bored...I've been being good all week trying to kick this cold just taking it easy and resting (though to be fair on Tuesday my fever was high enough that I couldn't have done anything even if I wanted to). I'm almost better. Like it's in striking distance. I made the call this morning not to go to the hockey game tonight just to be safe and now I'm like WHY?? Why did you decide that? You could have promised not to yell or cheer instead...

Which, of course, wouldn't have worked. Brent couldn't help but yell last week even though each time he yelled he coughed. But sometimes THE FOUL HAPPENED RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU! HOW COULD YOU NOT SEE IT? so you know...you have to.

But tomorrow we have hair appointments and pedicures and I want to be super healthy for those so today I am kicking the last of this to the curb so no relapse overnight.

BUT I AM SO BORED I'M CONTEMPLATING SOUP!

Like deep thoughts about the things that would have to come first, using fire, obviously, dishes, like pots that could withstand heat, and then the aforementioned who even thought about it? Add water to your meat and then eat.

I can't even imagine what a house would look like if we knocked down a wall, let alone imagine a whole new cooking method. Or, you know, just cooking.

Someone figured that out.

I bet they had a cold at the time and were stuck back at the cave while everyone else was off doing fun stuff so they just started lighting things on fire...

I mean, no, that's not what you do when you are bored. That would be a bad idea.

You just sit around and think about soup...

*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment