Friday, December 21, 2018

Bells Will Be Ringing...

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six


Lauren knocked on the door."Andrew? It's Lauren, I've got my uncle with me."

Andrew threw the door open and wrapped her in a giant hug. "Thank god you're here!" He released her realizing that that might have been an over the top gesture, but he had been quietly freaking out that they wouldn't make it on time and they would have to tell Carrie that her perfect day was not going to be so perfect. "I'm sorry, that was...."

Lauren just laughed, "It's okay. I bet you've been frantic. Anyway, this is my uncle..."

James then came around the corner and saw them for the first time. His face first registered shock then a giant smile broke out. "Dude, your suit is awesome! Carrie is going to love that!"

"I'm glad. I was a little worried you might think it was a bit much."

"Oh no, not at all. My fiancée loves Christmas. This is just going to make her even happier. I can't imagine the original minister would ever have a suit like this one!"

Lauren took a step back to really take her uncle in. He had always dressed up for Christmas Eve, it hadn't even struck her as odd when he had put on his dark red suit with the black velvet lapels. The tracing of silver snowflakes only barely visible. Her aunt was similarly outfitted in a skirt and jacket with her collar being black fur, fake of course, but so soft you sort of wanted to just pet her. They really loved to look festive. She smiled to herself thinking of the years they wore the brighter red and white. That might have been a bit too much for even someone who loved Christmas.

"When do we start? Is there time for me to meet the bride?"

"Now. Basically. We are starting now. I'm sorry, do you need to meet her? If not, I'd really just like to stick with the schedule."

"My brother is a bit of a planner. The whole day is timed out so people can be here, have some time at the reception and still get home early for family celebrations."

"That's perfect. My wife and I have plans as well, I think Lauren mentioned that? Anyway, we can get started soon. Just let me get your names written down to make sure I don't forget and tell me about...."

Andrew and Lauren walked away as James explained how they wanted the service to go. "Thank you so much for this. When Julianne told me your uncle was ordained I think I crossed every finger and toe that you could contact him in time."

"He was actually right next to me when you texted. We spend Christmas Eve morning together. When my dad died he really stepped in to...you know what, this is not the time for that conversation. Let's just say that he's a great guy and I am really glad he will be able to help your brother out. He and my aunt will chalk it up to their list of Christmas miracles."

"If we ever tell Carrie she will too." Andrew smiled. "You are sticking around right? I'd like to see you at the reception. I mean, if you don't have other plans? Do you need to go with your aunt and uncle?"

"No, they have a," Lauren paused for a moment, "A thing they do and then they go out to a lovely dinner. They actually met on Christmas Eve so they celebrate it as an anniversary. So as long as James and Carrie don't mind a stranger there my schedule is free."

"I still have my plus one open so..."

Lauren smiled again. "Great. I'll see you after the service."

-------

Carrie walked down the aisle to Christmas bells. She carried a bouquet of white roses with sprigs of red berries and green holly leaves. James thought she was the most beautiful bride he had ever seen and the fact that she looked a little like a snow angel made me smile even more. She was as Carrie as he had ever seen her be. And soon she would be his wife. His partner in Christmas fun for the rest of their lives.

She smiled at him. Then her eyes moved over to the minister and there was a moment of forehead creasing that he saw. Then shock. Her eyes widened and she stared at their officiant. This was not who they had hired, this was...

She reached the end of the aisle and tore her eyes away from him and back to James. It was a trick of light. And honestly it couldn't...

"Friends and family, we are gathered here on this glorious Christmas Eve..."

She turned again to look at him. Really look at him. And this time he saw her as well. Saw the familiar line to her jaw. The same deep brown of her eyes. She whispered, "Is it you? Is it really you?"

He smiled and nodded and they went on with the service both smiling at each other with tears glistening in their eyes. It was a beautiful wedding, everyone said so. Filled with so much love you could feel it rolling off of everyone there.

Lauren had stood in the back with her aunt who had actually gasped when she saw Carrie for the first time. She had been so lovely that Lauren understood why.

After the service was over the guests headed over to the ballroom for the reception and the photographer stepped in to take pictures. Carrie smiled at James, "How did you do it?"

"How did I do what?"

"How did you find him?"

James knew then that he was busted, Carrie knew that there had been a last minute switch from the minister they had first hired. He had hoped that she wouldn't remember what he looked like, but Carrie never forgot a face. "We were really lucky..." he started to explain when their substitute officiant came over.

Carrie turned and looked at him again. Her smile radiating joy. "It really is you, isn't it?"

He took her hands, "It is. You remember my wife?" He stepped to the side and Lauren's aunt opened her arms for a hug.

"It is so good to see you. We think of you often."

Carrie couldn't help it, the tears started to flow.

"Oh don't, don't, you'll smear your makeup!" Lauren's aunt pulled a tissue from her sleeve and dabbed away Carrie's tears.

"I just can't believe you are here." she turned to James, "It's perfect. You made the day ever more perfect."

James was not sure how he done that, but she was happy so he was happy.

"We can't stay, we have someplace we need to be..."

Carrie laughed, "Well of course you do. It's Christmas Eve after all! Thank you for being here. I just...thank you."

They all hugged again and posed for a few pictures then Carrie and James headed for the reception. Carrie stopped in the hallway and kissed James again. "I don't know how you did it. I don't know that I want to know, but thank you. Marrying you was all I wanted, but... Santa and Mrs. Claus. On Christmas Eve. I never thought I would see them again, and you made it happen."

James looked shocked and then turned to watch Lauren's aunt and uncle walk away. Santa and Mrs. Claus? He shook his head when he could swear he heard the jingle bells ring.

------------

As Bob led his traditional Christmas Eve meeting he kept thinking about seeing Carrie get married. He met his wife's gaze over the seats of those that needed this meeting and those that needed even more. "Christmas can be a time for miracles. I'm here to tell you about my worst Christmas and how it turned out to be the best for me. And for those of you who have heard my story before, stick around, we've switched up the ending this year." Laughter filled the room. Bob did love this meeting. It had saved his life.

He smiled at his wife again. His life was full.

"Santa Claus is my higher power..."






No comments:

Post a Comment