Tuesday, December 31, 2019

December AND 2019 Wrap Up!

Okay, this is it! Twenty Nineteen is in the books. Mostly. I mean we still have 13 more hours but the things that were going to get done, goal-wise are done.

Monthly and Yearly Recap here we go!

Reading! Ended up strong there at the end of November I needed to read four more books to hit my goal and I ended up seven past it so it was a busy book month. It helps that I count graphic novels and cookbooks (as long as I read ALL of the cookbook, no skimming) in my totals. But then again I set my totals higher to make sure those are counted "fairly." But anyway...My goal was 80 and I read 87, so Yay!

The sub-goal under this one was 15 Discworld books and I read 16 so that's good. Leaves 14 more in the regular series and a handful of short stories and I will have FINALLY after all of these years read all of Discworld. But the goal for this year was 15 and I hit that plus a spare so Yay!

Writing! Main goal for this year was 168 total blogs. Fiction goal was 56. And add to that four submissions. I needed 13 blogs at the end of November to hit goal. Fiction was done and submissions were complete as well. This blog will make 169 total blogs so Whew! Fifty nine of those were fiction so that's good. AND I did FIVE submissions so Yay! The writing was interesting this year. I did two fairly long series which is not my normal thing at all. They were fun and interesting and both done by requests from people so it was a stretch all the way around. I can't say I'll do more of that, but I might, who knows? The submissions were as frustrating as ever. I just don't write the right type of writing for the contest circuit I think, and I don't have the patience or passion to write, edit, rewrite, revise, rinse and repeat that it takes to get published by a big house. Or at least I don't think I do. Who knows what the future brings, but for now I hit all of my writing goals with a little (really little) bit extra so Yay!

MasterClass! At the end of November I was rushing through the Joyce Carol Oates one to make sure I hit 12 for the year before my subscription ran out on December 2nd. Made it. And added two bonuses with Doris Kearns Goodwin and Bobbi Brown. So I got 14 of them in. They were interesting, for the most part. I would recommend them if you have spare time or if there are people you are REALLY interested in. Like I loved the Neil Gaiman one so much if I had another year of the subscription I would probably do it again. The Margaret Atwood one was like that as well. Just listening to her talk about her writing was incredible. The Doris Kearns Goodwin one was another favorite. Her love of history made it so enjoyable. The others were on the scale of like it to made it through. But I hit that goal so Yay!

Monthly Museum/Attraction! This is one that seemed like a good idea at the start of the year and ended up being a last weekend of the month oh shit we need to go someplace a lot of the time. December was Pittock Mansion. I've wanted to see one of their Christmas displays for ages and this year it was book themed so it was pretty much perfect. But if I hadn't had the goal I needed to hit I would have probably skipped it. December is busy right? So I'm glad I set the goal, I'm glad we saw a lot of different things. But it wasn't quite as enjoyable as I thought it would be. But I hit that goal so Yay!

Fitness/Weight! Well...you know I put this to the side back around mid-year. Realized that it wasn't budging. That even when I would lose weight I would put it right back on again without changing anything. So all I was doing was making myself frustrated. Down, up, down, up. Ugh. So I stopped reaching for that goal and just set it aside. I kept up with the fitness part. I'm really good about hitting the gym. Injury and illness are pretty much all that keeps me away. And then Mom died and my eating went out the window. It just wasn't destined for me to lose those 10 pounds I wanted to lose. And, well, you know how last year I set my goals by adding four to things? Like this was doubled then I added four, or I took the average and added four? It just amused me so that was my setting mechanism? Well...I added four pounds. So Yay?

Then the little things. Daily Gratitude hit its yearly end on my birthday and I went ahead and carried that through the end of the year. I stopped #selfiesaturday at my birthday instead of carrying it through the end of the year. Honestly I would have carried it forward like Daily Gratitude to the end of the year just for tidiness sake but I knew that Mom was dying and if I did that at some point there would be a #SelfieSaturday with the "Mom's funeral" tag and well...

I got about half of the long term list done. The living room painted was the big one so that was great. I got a new dining room table and some new window coverings as well as had the front and back porch stained. There were a few more on that list that I checked off and some more that still need handled, but that's why it's a long term list. It's constantly being added to.

I kept my star chart going though I did get really tired of it finally. They lost their motivating factor for me as a positive and became a negative instead. Switched from an "I get a star!" to "If I don't do this I won't get a star." Totally different feeling. But I finished it out.

And that was that for 2019. Hit the majority of the goals. Dropped the one that just wasn't working for me anymore and tried not to feel like I was failing by doing that. Spoiler alert...I feel like I failed myself by not doing it. But I'm working on that.

Happy 2019, I hope it was a good one for you!

So Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment