Sunday, March 31, 2024

Let's Talk Goals...

Okay, starting tomorrow Gold Stars and Goals are back in effect.

I've gone back to a written calendar to make sure I am doing the things I want to do and not reaching Friday each week thinking, Oh I was totally going to do (fill in the blank) next week, next week for sure!

Write it down, check it off, get the star. 

So what am I looking at? 

Nothing really earth shaking. Nothing that is that big of a deal to anyone else. Just things that I can focus on to quiet the OHMYGOSHWHAT'SNEXT chatter in my head. 

I'm doing PoD until I get bored with it.

I'm reading one nonfiction book a month (along with however many fiction ones I get to right now the year goal is 65 total books, but let's be real, I should be bumping that up to at least 75, in fact...hold on a second...there. The yearly goal for books is 75)

I'm going to write 208 blogs this year with 52 fiction and 156 nonfiction. Which was last year's goal as well but last year I broke it into 1 fiction a week and 3 nonfiction. This year I'm just going to write what I feel like on that day and so some weeks it might be all nonfiction, some all fiction. But I do have an end of year goal in site. 

Fitness. Okay, I know normally I do not do weight anymore because of really valid reasons, but I do want to lose weight this year. A few years of that illness, injury, recovery, rinse and repeat has put my weight higher than I like and it's either buy new jeans or lose weight. So we are going to start with trying to lose some weight, the goal is 15 pounds (technically 13 1/2 as of this morning) it would have been 10 but Hawaii was very tasty.

The bigger goal is to run (slowly, I'm a jogger) a 5K. That had already been on the radar and I'm working on it. Having some achilles issues so it's going slowly (even more slowly than my pace) but I am consistent. And consistency is key. Also I think my elbow is healed enough to start lifting again. Slowly, lightly, patiently, but lifting. YAY! So working out 5 days a week and drop some weight. I keep saying I need to go back to limiting sugar way down, and I do. I know that. But mentally I've not made that corner turn yet so when the struggle stops then I'll do that. But fighting against it is not going to do anything but trigger the really dark food compulsions so let's not do that...

The calendar is to track those housekeeping things that I do that nobody notices except me. Like baseboards and ceiling fans and vinegar through the coffee pot. The little cleaning things that make me feel like my house is put together. And I could expound (and probably have) on how I realize that this is all tied to being raised in house with almost hoarding levels of stuff and how it's kind of the same mental issues just flipped but...It makes me feel better. And Brent loves a clean house as well so it makes him feel good too. So I'm going back to weekly chore lists. 

I know, it's weird. But I never claimed normalcy so...

So, yeah, goals are back, sort of. 

I will have things written down and that I'm working toward, but it's just the stuff I do anyway. I just have to accept that my brain feels better when it has a shiny to work towards. I'm like a working dog. You can get one for a pet, but if you don't keep it busy it's going to destroy your house. 

OH! Also with writing. I'm going to finish the series I've been working on for Dana and start something new there. I'm actually thinking of picking a writing cue and writing as many stories from one cue as I can. But that might end up being a blog idea instead. Or both. It could be both. But the every other week exchange with Dana is still on, and if I do wrap up that long story I've been writing it will hit the blog and that will be a good sized chunk of the 52 fiction pieces for 2024. Bonus.

And April is Poetry Month so...

Yeah, I'm not going to do a poem a day. That was just so freaking hard to do that I ended up taking all of May off basically to recover. But I do want to do some extra poetry. So let's say 8 poems in April. That flows nicely. Eight in April. 

Sorry, Skip.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment