Monday, March 18, 2024

Now It's After Hawaii...

Okay, so now we do all the changes I said I would do after Hawaii...

Or maybe not. 

I had expected to really get some clarity during the trip on what I wanted to do. Usually I do. I spend time swimming and walking and sitting and listening and I come away with ideas.

But this trip was not at all what I was expecting. It was nothing like what we had planned. I had in my head an idea of what I would come away with for answers. But that's not what happened.

The trip itself was unlike others we have taken over the years. 

The weather was challenging. Winds and offshore storms made the ocean a little tricky. There was one day where it was clear and calm, and we had something else planned that morning so thought we'd go snorkel in the afternoon. By the time we got back to the resort the water had churned again and it wasn't great conditions again. Most days it was really choppy and that's not great snorkel water, the one time we did go snorkeling (yes, ONE time) it was off of Lanai which is normally perfect water and visibility and it was so murky and sandy and the current was so strong that after about an hour in the water we were gassed. There were people on our tour who had a really hard time fighting through the surf and getting back up on the beach.

And I was challenged in other ways too. Not just the weather. 

Going someplace I haven't been in two years and getting a real clear snapshot of how much my physical strength has lessened was, well, let's say discouraging. I mean, I knew it was bad, I've been recovering from injuries for the past almost year. Not continual, but one after another. And I've been without being able to lift any weights at all for the past 7 months. It's been brutal. So I knew that I was not in the shape I normally am, but discovering just how off I am was tough. 

We walked everyday since we couldn't swim. Between 3-5 miles depending on the day. Just an easy pace (as an aside Brent has his own injury he's trying to recover from so we were being mindful of that as well). My achilles tendons were screaming at me after the third day. Just super angry. I walk/jog 3-4 times a week on the treadmill but without that added piece of weight training and outdoor hiking they were not okay with beach path strolls. Craziness. 

I also got a glimpse of a candid shot by one of the tour boat photographers and let's just say I'm not super happy with the way I look either. 

So...I am not jumping in with After Hawaii changes. I'm letting everything settle. Because right now my after Hawaii changes are hey, let's stop eating and start lifting weights three times a day, that would be great right? 

And it wouldn't. 

I mean, the injuries I have been recovering from, I'm still recovering from. The elbow could take another 6 or 7 months to heal, if not more. I am cleared to start lifting again, but low amounts and slow builds. And I do have some idea on how I want to change what I'm eating (basically I need to cut back on added sugar again I think) but I can't make dietary changes when that part of my head is triggered. 

So now I need to wait. April. April seems a good time to implement changes. It's a clean start. The first of new month. The first month of a new quarter. I mean, that's pretty perfect right?

Also, I know it doesn't seem like it from this blog, but Hawaii was great. Even with it not being our typical trip is was still wonderful overall. I'll write more about it tomorrow, the challenges and the benefits. But I am going to add those other goals back in in April as well so I might as well keep getting that head start on my blog numbers. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm starving...

No comments:

Post a Comment