Saturday, January 20, 2024

You've Got to Admit It's Getting Better...

A friend and I used to tell each other that the only good thing about being sick is remembering how incredible healthy feels. 

We take the normal levels for granted. The day to day health just fades into the background and we don't notice. 

Until we get sick. Then right after we are better we are full of gratitude for health. It's so great to be "normal" again! And we swear we won't forget.

Until we do. 

Yesterday I straightened my arm without it shaking. This is the first time I've been able to do that since...umm...October? It seems like forever, but I think it was October. 

It's still sore. There is still a pretty deep ache in there. But it was an absolute sign of progress and healing. I could straighten it without it shaking. I made Brent watch me do it. Then had to explain to him what he was seeing and why it was a big deal. He was then suitably impressed. 

And I would guess a little relieved. He's been carrying a really high burden of keeping things running lately. Normally I take care of the majority of cooking and cleaning, but there have been times I couldn't really do anything and the rest of the time I couldn't do much. Seeing a little light at the end of the tunnel has to feel good to him as well. Though he would never admit that it's been a problem. It's just what we do. We pick up the slack for each other when it's needed. 

And it was perfect timing for me. I had reached the point of THIS IS NEVER GOING TO HEAL these past couple of weeks. Just completely frustrated with how slow it was going and how it didn't seem to be getting any better. When Chad and Raquel asked about the procedure I said I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It was so incredibly painful to have done and there was zero improvement. 

We will see how the next couple of weeks go but I might be revising my recommendation. 

And I did say that a big part of my issue was I thought I was going in to have a strain/sprain worked on and it turned out to be a tear. As soon as he found the tear the timeline for recovery changed. But I could not get my brain to accept the new timeline. I wanted complete healing within 12 weeks, with the marked improvement within 3. Well, no. The new timeline could be over a year before I have complete healing. And as far as majority healing, who knows? 

But yesterday I could straighten my arm without it shaking. I still might not be ready to kayak at the end of February but next year? Maybe.

As far as my ass goes, it's slowly healing as well. Seems like it is just bruised. The muscles are sore and I'm a little jarred but I think if I can keep my glutes from tightening up and yanking my pelvis out of alignment I'll be fine within a week or so. Definitely was not ready for jogging yesterday, but walking was okay.

I can't do anything with it without it shaking, but I think that's just my ass...

Everything is getting better. As frustrated as I was with it all on Wednesday maybe breathe and leave did work. Just slowly. 

Progress. 



No comments:

Post a Comment