Thursday, February 15, 2024

Home Sweet Home...

My child is now a home owner. 

And not too far off in age from how old we were when we bought our first house. We were 28 she's 31. Hers is significantly more expensive than ours was. She makes more money than we did as well, but even with that her house is a bigger chunk of her income than ours was. 

Because of the difference in housing prices we weren't sure she'd ever buy one. Or maybe not for a long time anyway. But she decided she wanted to at least look at the possibility last year. She started scoping out places in Bend then decided to look up here. After deciding that there were more options here she reached out to Patty to start the serious search. And within just a few months she now owns a house. 

I'm not even sure if she's my child. I mean, she looked at a handful of houses and made a decision quickly. Craziness...

It's a nice place too. When I looked at it (I did the first round of looking and narrowing choices for her) I could see her living there. It felt right. Nine times out of ten I end up going by how does it feel. We couldn't do that with this place and I was actually worried that when it was done I was going to walk in and think, nope, this was not it! 

But her place felt like someplace she could live comfortably. It's cozy. It's got a nice deck that backs to some greenery. There's space for her to have an office (two actually, a private work office and a home office space if she wants one). Good sized bedrooms for her and Amber and Slushy. Close enough to us that we can see her more than once a year, but not so close she has to worry about us just popping in. Which, of course, isn't really something she has to worry about anyway.

There were a couple of hiccups on the way, but she handled them all calmly and kept moving. As is her way. 

One of them was her entire credit history disappeared. She's been building her history for a decade. Rent, utilities, all of those look what a reliable consumer she is sort of things. But when they pulled her credit reports there was nothing there. She had no history. How does that happen? There is part of me that thinks how odd, what a weird thing, and there is another part of me that thinks someone saw her name change come through (those things are tied to your SSN) and went...nope...clicked clear all and laughed in transphobic. 

Of course, I'll never know, but it's not out of the question that bad things will happen to her because other people are assholes. I mean, that's never been out of the question, but people are assholes to her now because of the idea of her as much as anything else. Trans people, and especially trans women have been made into a big, scary, villian for the right to rally against. 

But none of that stopped her and now she has her own space. I hope it's a happy, warm, safe, comfortable, loving, home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment