Saturday, February 24, 2024

How Do You Mend a Broken Heart?

"What options are you looking at today?"

"Do you have a price list I can start with?"

"I don't like to start with price lists. I like to start with you telling me what your goals are, what you are looking for, then we can talk budget and figure out how to get you the best package for your needs. When we start with prices people are more likely to leave without getting what they really want."

"Well I feel like if I don't look at prices you are going to upsell me on services that I don't really want or need."

"I get it. I do. You've been burned before and want to be extra cautious. Really, I do understand. But, and I don't want you to think this is condescending or anything like that, because it's not meant to be, but, I am the expert here. I am one of the best at my job."

"And best at your job could be measured by upselling people and making the most profit for your company, could it not?"

"It could, but I have the highest customer satisfaction ratings as well."

"And aren't people more likely to give positive ratings if they spend more? I think I remember reading a study about that."

"You really are cautious. Okay, how about this? I give you the price list and you tell me what you want based on price and then we talk about what you REALLY want based on features and we see what we can work out."

"How would there be anything to work out if I can see what I can afford? I mean, I know my budget."

"There's always ways to piece together things that we don't have listed as base options."

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why don't you have them listed if they are things you can buy? Wouldn't it be better to list all of the options up front?"

"Well, we don't do that because some things aren't compatible. You can't get some of the options with some of the packages because they have conflicting or overriding features."

"Couldn't that just be on the list? Not available with Package A for instance?"

"It could be but then people wonder why they can't get those options. Are they being withheld from them specifically? Why wouldn't they be able to get whatever they want? They are the customer after all. You would be surprised the number of people that don't really want an option until they are told they can't get that option. Then it's all they want."

"Actually, yeah, I can see that. I know people like that."

"So I can just let you choose from the list, but I would like the opportunity to hear what you really want and then see what we can work out within your budget. I really have no desire to charge you more than you can afford. That would be completely against our purpose here."

"Isn't your purpose to make money? I mean you are a service after all."

"Okay, yes, we are a service, and we do make a profit. And I won't lie to you, I get paid handsomely to do this. But our goal is for you to leave here happier than you came in. And, honestly, to recommend us to anyone you think could use us. We have a mission statement."

"Every company has a mission statement."

"Yeah, but we have a mission to go with our statement. And you don't work here if you don't believe and buy in to the mission in our mission statement. It's a prerequisite, a requirement, mandatory. Before you ever take to the sales floor you go through the system yourself and part of the package you get is getting the mission statement imbedded in your heart. I wouldn't rip you off even if I wanted to, but I couldn't want to either."

"That's an option?"

"It's not an option for paying customers. And it's not an option if you work here. It's an option to do it, but the option is do it and get the job or don't do it and find someplace else to work."

"That seems kind of sinister."

"It's not. It's a choice. I would not have come here to work if I didn't think what we do is important and helpful. So adding the mission statement as part of me just reinforced that. I believe my duty is to my customer. To heal their hearts in the most complete way possible. I wouldn't have come here to work if I didn't feel that."

"Hmm.."

"Look, it's not actually an easy job. The things you hear on a day in and day out basis. It's heavy. It can stick with you. We are compensated nicely, we also get a lot of time off to recharge, but we all believe it's important. That we are being the change in the world we want to see. I know it sounds corny, but it's true. I only want what is best for you. I want you to get the maximum healing you can for the money you can afford to spend. I don't want you to leave here with a new heartbreak. Because being broke is heartbreaking."

"Okay. Okay. Where would you suggest we start?"

"Great. Thank you. Thank you for trusting me to do my job. And that's where I think we should start. Let's look at fixing your wariness. Package 1.A is one of our most requested packages. We call it our "Trust is a Must" base package, we can then look at adding in a few more items like resetting your factory presets on openness and adventure. All of those together will allow you to let people in close again, how does that sound?"

"Sounds like maybe you do understand what's broken. But I'm not sure I want to be open like that again, I mean isn't that just inviting a new break?"

"I'm not going to lie and say it might not happen. Sometimes it does. But here is the brilliant thing. Here at Open Hearts we only fix the breaks and cracks in your heart. You will still have all of the knowledge and memory from how it got that way. So yes, you will be more willing to be trusting, you will be less guarded, you will be open for adventure, but you won't be blind to warning signs. Now, if you do want the full reset, and some people do, we do have a package discount deal with Brain Drain Inc. but I'll be honest with you here, I don't generally recommend it unless there is some significant reason why you'd want the whole memory erased with the healing. I just feel like for most people it's overkill."

"Okay. Let's look at prices."


No comments:

Post a Comment