Friday, December 8, 2023

Nerves...

I'm starting to get a little nervous about the PRP therapy for my elbow. 

When I first posted about the possibility of getting it done I got a ton of feedback from friends who have had it for various soft tissue injuries and had great results. And I was really looking forward to it last month. But with the delay in treatment the reality of it has started to set in a little more. And the fact that I've gotten very used to the wonky elbow.

So part of me is like...well should I? Or should I just deal with it?

When the doctor first told me about it he was very upfront and said that it's going to hurt. That the first few days after the treatment it will hurt more than it hurts right now. But that after a few weeks it will feel great. I have a really high pain tolerance so I was feeling fairly cocky about it. Oh I can deal with a little pain for a few days no sweat. 

Then I talked to the nurse when I was rescheduling and she reiterated that it would hurt. And then added that they would send me home with a few pain pills to get me over the hump. Wait, what? This is pain pill level hurts? Oh well...that's different. 

And then I got the aftercare paperwork and I'm not supposed to do any exercise at all for two weeks and no vigorous work for six. 

For an elbow?

I can't walk the treadmill for two weeks for an elbow?

I can't keep my slow jogging up for six weeks?

What?

I haven't been able to lift heavy things for over two months and now you want me to not even be able to get my heart rate up at all? 

I am going to double check on that on Wednesday because that seems a little odd. But I will follow whatever the instructions are because I want to give it the best possible chance at success. I just will whine about it if it really is no walking for two weeks and no jogging for six. 

So right now I'm not feeling super confident about getting the procedure done. If it weren't my left arm. If it weren't for the fact that I am losing my grip, I mean literally, not just about getting the procedure done. If it weren't for the fact that I can't stretch it out or bend it too far in. If I weren't for all of the things that drove me to going to the doctor in the first place I would absolutely cancel the appointment. 

But all of those things are true. So I will get it done. Just a few more days of thinking about it and dreading it to go. 

yay...

No comments:

Post a Comment