Tuesday, September 19, 2023

How Does That Happen?

It was cold this morning. Like really chilly. The house is still teetering on that line where the heater could click on if I let the thermostat read the living room (the back door is cracked for the cats) instead of the office at the front of the house. 

When I came in from my workout I actually checked to make sure something wonky hadn't happened and the AC had turned on. That's how chilly it felt. 

Wednesday there is a soccer match and I'll need to make sure I wear a sweatshirt so I don't freeze during the game. We didn't grab anything for last Saturday's game and by the end we were really regretting it. Just a few matches ago I was hiding inside the Key Club for the first bit of the game because it was too hot to stand in the direct sunlight. 

It's crazy how fast time goes. It's Fall. (technically not until Friday, but we're basically there) And for awhile there will be some really warmish days off and on, but we should be done with the hot for sure. And we will end up with days (like tomorrow) where it's not even going to get out of the 60s. 

I'm thrilled, by the way, that it's cooler. I much prefer it when it's cooler. I sleep better at night. I feel better during the day. I love a cozy sweater and blanket on the couch to cuddle up in. But it still seems like summer just started. 

Stephen King talks about Pretty Pony time. How there is only one stretch in our lives where time actually passes at the correct pace. One pretty pony. Two pretty pony. Three pretty pony. Those are the seconds passing. When you are young time stretches. Think about how long it was from September to Christmas when you were 8 or 9. When you are old time folds and condenses. Think about how quickly the time from September to Christmas flies. But there is this patch when you are a young adult where it's exactly right. Pretty pony time. 

We just don't notice that time. We notice the drag and we notice the speed. 

And the speed? It does not slow down at all. Every year goes a little faster. 

Now, our generations will have the pandemic time that did not obey any rules of speed or slowness. It was the year that lasted for 10, the two  years that blended into one. It was the what day is it anyway? Tuwedfri? So that completely wrecked all of us, but in different ways. 

Now that we are back to our new normals, mostly, time has gone back to it's regularly scheduled pace. And I'm telling you I was just figuring out what we were going to do this summer and now I cannot believe I didn't get those shelves ordered in time to put out my Halloween decorations! 

Which I totally sat down to order today and got overwhelmed again. Do I want to put a few low shelves in the wide hallway or maybe hang some shelves on the wall instead? How about a low cabinet in the living room but I really want something that won't compete with the window so do they even make them that low? And...

Hey...I should write a blog. 

You know it's bad when I'm writing TO procrastinate...

And would you look at the time? I should probably get some lunch.

I swear it was just breakfast...

No comments:

Post a Comment