Thursday, August 3, 2023

Oh My...

Today was biopsy day. 

Since I had to have one last year I knew what to expect from this one. So of course I've been dreading it. 

But I have to say there was a world of difference between the two clinics.

Last time I was there for the appointment about bleeding and the doctor said she wanted to biopsy and do an ultrasound and we could just do the biopsy right then, no waiting. Slaps me up on the table and BAM! OH HOLY SHIT YOU DID NOT WARN ME THAT IT WOULD HURT LIKE THAT! Does it once, then does it again, WITHOUT WARNING ME.

This time with the new practitioner in a different clinic, she said, Hey, okay, so you've got bleeding again and that is not ideal but I'd like to start with an ultrasound and if we see something of concern then we will do a biopsy. But I'd really like to start with the ultrasound. 

Great! 

Well there was something of concern so I had to schedule a biopsy, but at least there had been a glimmer of hope that the only slightly uncomfortable test would be all I needed.

Get a call from her nurse and a note in my MyChart from her. To prep, make sure you eat that day and are well hydrated to prevent dizziness, about an hour before the appointment take a large dose of ibuprofen.

Go in for the procedure and she walks me through all the steps, tells me exactly how many samples they will have to take. Uses lidocaine on my cervix so it won't hurt as much as they force it open. Gives me a heat pack to try and help with the pain a little. Super apologetic about the pain and discomfort. Did what she called baby breaks between each sample to give me a chance to get back to baseline from OH HOLY SHIT

Both times it hurt like fuck. There is no way around it hurting like fuck. They are taking samples of your uterus. But at least the second time I felt like a person not a test dummy.

She also had an alternative to the hormones I was taking lined up to talk to me about. It will depend on the results from the biopsy, but she was ready to go with the next steps if it's all good. 

Good medical care shouldn't be a crap shoot. 

It really shouldn't. 

But I'm glad that for at least this little session I have a good team. 

Oh...and they said no sex for a week while everything heals and I just want to know what sick fuck gets three hole punches out of their uterine wall and thinks...you know what sounds good right now? Sex. 

Whoever you are, you are not okay, and I am judging you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment