Sunday, November 5, 2023

Three Years...

Well I made it three years. Was starting to get really cocky and thinking I'd never catch it. We have friends who have had it multiple times and almost everyone I know has had it at least once. I was one of dwindling number who hadn't ever caught it. I thought, maybe all of those colds I had growing up finally proved helpful!

Well, no. 

Bummer.

Woke up yesterday morning and was just really tired. But that was understandable. Tig had woken up a few times during the night and when he wakes up he wakes up one (or both) of us for cuddles before he goes back to sleep. It's super sweet really, but it's also exhausting when you are woken up a few times and have a hard time getting back to sleep. So Saturday morning I was tired. When I sat down in Sara's chair and got a look at my face with those bright salon lights I thought, "Holy shit, you look even more tired than you feel! Eek!" 

Yesterday evening I was FREEZING. Wearing jeans, a long sleeve shirt and covered with a blanket and just could not get warm. Brent was fine and it was 72 in the house so I decided maybe I should take my temperature. Oh well, 101.9 that explains it. I'm not freezing, I'm feverish. Grabbed one of the Covid tests "just to make sure" because I've got a lot to do this week that is people centric. Really expected it to be fine. 

And nope.

Fuck. 

Sent a message to Sara letting her know that I had germed all over her that morning. Which fucking sucks. I mean it really does. She is back to wearing masks at work because people are germ factories and keep sliming her but still...I didn't think I would be one of them! We have been really consistent about not going out if we don't feel well, just in case, and testing when we've been exposed, just to make sure, and all of that good stuff. And then...

I slimed her. 

Ugh. 

So I feel really awful about that. 

And I am cranky that this means I'll have to reschedule my elbow work. I am not looking forward to the initial recovery and pain that was promised, but I am SO ready to actually be able to grip things again. So now I'll have to wait on that. 

And I'm cranky that we are going to miss the Thorns playoff game. Or miss it live at least. Last home game of the year and I'll be watching from the couch. Bummer.

But other than that it's actually not that bad, so far, and hopefully it stays this way. 

I've been describing it as a bad cold. But it's not even that bad of a bad cold. The fever yesterday was a lot but so far today it's not been bad. There is an annoying little dry cough and when I was talking to Katie today I could feel my voice just giving out and had to end the call while I could still make noise. A little congestion. A little tired. But honestly I don't even feel as bad as I did from the side effects of the first doses of the vaccine. Fingers crossed it doesn't get worse and that it doesn't linger.

And, of course that Brent doesn't end up with it and that Sara's mask protected her so she doesn't as well. 

But there you go. I made it all the way through the pandemic years and didn't catch it until we reached endemic stage. I guess that's something? Also am fully fully vaxxed so I have to think that's a big part of why my symptoms are so mild.

Looking back now knowing that I have it I think I probably was sick starting as early as Thursday but not in a way I would have noticed if it hadn't progressed. See Thursday night over Friday I was really hot overnight. I thought it was just bad hot flashes but they were longer lasting than normal and didn't have that rolling heat feeling that I normally get, but still, hot over night is not unusual. Now I think I was probably spiking a fever and just didn't realize it. And Friday when I was drying off after my shower I had a pain in my armpit. Like a little swelling and tenderness. I thought maybe it was an ingrown hair and I would keep an eye on it, now I think, oh...probably lymph node was churning. And then the tiredness Saturday morning. 

Nothing that isolated I would ever think about for long, but now looking at them all together I think maybe it was just a really slow roll of symptoms. 

So keep an eye out for those sneaky symptoms. And remember no matter how cocky you are feeling it's still out there. 

Bummer.



No comments:

Post a Comment