Friday, November 10, 2023

Letter...

When the letter showed up, I wasn’t even curious. Not really. I mean, okay, I was a little curious. Just in a vague “who would just drop a letter on the porch” sort of way. But not like overly curious.

I just brought it inside and set it on the kitchen counter where we put all of the unopened mail. Because really it was just mail, right? I mean if it had come in the mailbox, I wouldn’t have paid any attention to it at all. Just dropped it on the counter with any other mail for the day that wasn’t addressed to me.

Because this wasn’t addressed to me, it wasn’t any of my business at all. No reason to be curious. If it had been addressed to me then of course I would have wondered “who dropped a letter off to me like this?” before I opened it and found out.

Not that I was going to open this letter. Because I wasn’t. Because I wasn’t really curious about it.

Not really. I mean I did pick it up and look at it a few times. I might have even held it up to the light a little to see if I could see what was in the envelope. I wasn’t like really curious as to what a letter might say, but what if it wasn’t a letter? What if it was like powder or something that I shouldn’t keep on the counter where the cats could knock it off or the kids could get into it accidentally? I mean, there was that big anthrax scare like 30 years ago, so it wasn’t out of the realm of possibilities.

But I wasn’t like super curious about it.

It was a letter. It had just been dropped off on the porch without anyone even tripping the Ring camera. I mean, sure I looked at that footage to see if I could find out who dropped it off, but that was more about concern that I didn’t get a notification that someone came that close to the door. What good is a doorbell camera if it doesn’t record people coming close to the doorbell? So, I watched the footage. A few times. Nothing.

But that’s not that big of a deal. Sometimes it just doesn’t catch everything. It doesn’t mean that someone was really careful to come up to the door at the exact right angle to not trip the cameras. Doing it purposefully so I, I mean we, wouldn’t be able to see who dropped it off. I’m sure it was just a coincidence.

It was just a letter. Dropped off on the porch by some mystery person. Not addressed to me. It’s not a big deal. Nothing to be curious about at all.

And even if I was really curious all I would have had to do was text him that a letter came for him, and did he want me to open it and he would say sure. Because why wouldn’t he? So, I didn’t have a reason to worry about anything which meant I didn’t have to be curious.

And since I knew exactly what he would say did I really even need to bother him with a text?

Not that I was going to open the letter.

That was until he sent me a text asking if anyone had dropped something off for him. And when I asked what he was expecting he suddenly had to go into a meeting and would talk to me later.

Now that was a little curious right? Why would you text me and then not have time to answer a question? Like a simple question too. Nothing that needed a lot of time. Just a quick, so and so was going to drop off a letter. That’s all. Easy.

I looked back over the Ring footage one more time and yeah, there was no time where you saw the letter get dropped off or saw it on the mat because it was too close to the door for the camera angle, and I picked it up when I brought in the UPS package that was delivered later, that was on the camera. But not the letter. There was no sign that the letter was delivered at all. Or that it was picked up.

If someone else got curious about it, they wouldn’t be able to tell it had come. If I said there was nothing delivered for him, the only thing that came today was the UPS package of things I had ordered from Amazon. See? Here’s the box…

That would be all there was.

I’m sure he would be curious as to why someone told him they dropped off a letter and there was no letter but…

When the letter showed up, I wasn’t even curious. Not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment