Friday, November 17, 2023

Listening...

 “I think someone’s listening.”

“Who?”

“I don’t know.”

“Why?”

“Why don’t I know?”

“No, why do you think someone’s listening?”

“Because it’s very quiet when we aren’t speaking.”

“Okay…”

“Like too quiet.”

“Or just that’s what happens when you stop speaking, it’s quiet.”

“But not like this. This is like really quiet. Listen.”

 

“Okay…”

“No, really listen. Like just sit still and wait a little bit.”

“How long?”

“Don’t set a timer, then you’ll be listening for that. Just sit and don’t listen for anything in particular. Just listen.”

“Won’t I be listening for the silence no matter what I’m doing?”

“Stop making it difficult. Just listen. It’s a heavy silence.”

 

 

 

“See?”

“No. It just seemed like we stopped talking. That’s all.”

“Fine. But just keep in mind that I think someone’s listening and be careful what you say.”

“I’m always careful what I say.”


Later when she was cleaning up the room, she found a note. “I know they are listening. Stop talking about them listening. They are ALWAYS listening.”

She knew it was too quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment