Monday, June 5, 2023

Listen!

Last week while I was working out I was thinking about how I was going to change my June routine. I was thinking I need to look at some more core work but also I really should be adding in some flexibility and balance items. It's so important as you age to make sure you are doing balance work and flexibility work. It's crazy how much you lose as you age. And if you aren't fighting against the loss it gets to be really bad. 

I have not been great about fighting against those things. I've never been flexible so that work is hard. And balance work can be boring. And since I've been skipping on it, it's now boring and hard. Which means I don't waaaaannnnnna....

But last week thinking about workouts and I know I need to add those elements in. 

Sunday rolls around and I am setting up my program for the next month. We are also catching up on some TV shows so instead of breaking things back down I pulled up a former cycle and just clicked do this again. Perfect. Three days of weights, three days of cardio, switching back to doing full body weights instead of each day one body part. Bada bing bada boom. Done. 

And you are saying, wait, where's the core work? The flexibility? The balance? 

Shhh...can't hear you, I'm finishing out The Big Door Prize and I need to focus to see if it's going to start making sense...

This morning I am getting ready to workout and I pull up the iFit program that I use on the treadmill for my cardio sessions. I have a vague memory that the 6th part of this challenge I'm in the middle of won't have all week to finish, only a few days, so I need to check that out and make sure I have time to finish. Pull it up and it's not a treadmill workout this week, it's two mat workouts. 

Boo.

And I close the program and try to decide how to handle that. I mean, I want that 6th week. Give me my gold star. But it's not the cardio that I use it for so it's kind of worthless. I could run it in the background while I walk, that kind of counts. Or just deal with the skip and take it as a sign from the Universe that I shouldn't be so reliant on iFit gold stars. Or...wait.

Open the program again. The first one is a yoga flow workout. Oh. Or I could take it as a sign from the Universe that I need to be LISTENING and add back in that core, flexibility and balance work I said I needed to do. 

I've had a couple of reminders from the Universe lately. One that something I did was the right choice for exactly the reasons I thought it would be, one that I'm still not really paying attention to places I should be and a few just pokes in the side...hey! remember me! remember this! 

Hopefully I can spend the summer paying attention to those moments instead of dismissing them and regretting it. 

And in case you needed it, here is your reminder from the Universe. Take care of yourself. Do the things you need to do to bring you health. Mental, physical, emotional. It's all a giant package of you. Do those good things for yourself. Even if you need an extra push to get it going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment