Friday, June 9, 2023

Car Repairs...

"So do you think you can fix it? The review on Yelp said you were the best auto body shop in town."

"I like to think so. I say if we can't fix it I don't think anyone could. But this might be a challenge."

"I figured as much. But I can't drive it in the rain if I leave it the way it is, the plastic tarp makes a lot of noise and doesn't really stay down when I'm driving."

"For sure, I get it. But with the hole going through the whole roof like that we might have better luck cutting off the the top and attaching a new roof. Sort of Frankensteining your car. We would need to find the same make and model in the junkyard, cut that off, cut off yours, weld it on, then refinish the joinings, repaint the whole car to match, and reupholster the interior. That's the only way to get a smooth repair."

"What about patching it? Couldn't your just like weld a new piece in place or something? Or fill it with bondo?"

"I don't think you'd like the look of it if we tried to do the patch. And you can't bondo a hole like that. Bondo is for small areas, dents that need filled. Without a bottom the plug wouldn't stick."

"I don't care as much about looks as I do function. I just need it stop leaking. If you can weld a piece in like a patch and if that would be less expensive than a whole new top I'd really like to do that."

"How about selling it?"

"What? Who is going to buy it like this?"

"I happen to know a collector. I think this piece would be right up his alley."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, now, if you still have the...damaging piece in your possession you could get top dollar from him."

"He'd want that?"

"He'd want that most of all. In fact if we were to put it back in the hole when he came to look at it that would be best. I can arrange for him to come look."

"And what would you get out of the deal?"

"Let's say 10% of what he offers you?"

"Do you think that would leave me enough to buy another used car?"

"I think if you have the damaging piece, and we put it back before he comes to look, we could get you enough to buy a new car. Or two."

"Holy shit."

"Yeah, he's serious about his collections."

"What all does he have?"

"Last I checked? A stuffed chupacabra, a mirror that reflected Bloody Mary, a video of a disappearing hitchhiker..."

"But how does he know all of those things are real?"

"He's got a monkey's paw."

"Wow..."

"Okay, yeah, I've still got it, it's actually in the trunk, give him a call."

"And you might want to write down your story, just so he can have that as well. I don't know that he'll need it as I assume it's the basic one, right?"

"Yeah, pretty much the same story. Parked back in the woods to fool around a little, heard on the radio that a serial killer had escaped from the local asylum, nasty details about how he slashed his victims up with the hook he had for a hand, we heard a thump and took off only to find his hook lodged in the roof of the car when we got back to the city."

"You never think it's going to happen to you, but here you are."

"Ain't that the truth?" 


____________________


Writing prompt: Base a story off of an Urban Legend

No comments:

Post a Comment