Monday, February 13, 2023

Gametime Decision...

So we did what I thought we would do. We had the game on in the background and paid about half attention to it at best. The Puppy Bowl was on before the game this year so I had it on while I did other morning chores. Super cute. There was one little guy named Moocow who was just too adorable. 

The Super Bowl itself was...fine? Nothing super exciting about the game really. Nothing that made us put down our books and really pay attention. Just sort of followed along with it. The Chiefs found their offense the second half and that was that. There was a penalty called on the last drive that will leave Eagles fans salty, but as we always say, if you don't want the refs to decide the game, don't give them the chance. 

Some of the commercials were also...fine. Nothing really groundbreaking there. We all remember when Super Bowl commercials were a really big deal. Creative and fun and expensive. And they just got more and more expensive. And nothing scares a brand away from risky creativity like expense. If you are paying millions for a spot you don't want creative that will either hit big or completely flop, you'd rather have some sort of guarantee. So we get fine spots. Or oh that was kind of cute spots. But not a lot of WOW that was new spots.

The Halftime show was also...fine. I gave it a B on the Halftime Show grading scale, Brent gave it a B- or C+. Now a lot of halftime show grading comes down to how familiar you are with the artist. We were more familiar with Rihanna's catalog than either of us expected to be. Most of that though was from hockey games. They play a lot of Ri Ri at hockey for some reason. I actually liked the simplicity of her show. No guests (except for the one she brought with her), no costume changes, just her and her sea of puffy coat wearing dancers. I liked it. I'm also impressed she did it all while pregnant. I know you see more and more women active and doing a ton while pregnant but I was not that pregnant lady. My ankles rolled, my finger joints froze, my hips wiggled in ways they aren't supposed to wiggle, Katie would stomp on my sciatic nerve and send me plunging to the ground at random intervals. I would not have strapped myself to a flying platform and soared above a stadium. I liked it. Just didn't love it. 

When the game was over we watched a preview for the newest season of Tournament of Champions on Food Network and I realized I'm much more excited about that than I ever mustered at any point in time for the Super Bowl. Even though they won't have a halftime spectacle or super expensive star studded commercials.

It was about what I expected going in though so that was...fine. 

And honestly there is nothing wrong with fine. But the Fine Bowl, or Fine Bowl Sunday or Fine FootBall For Your Half Viewing Pleasure just doesn't have the same ring to it as SUPER Bowl Sunday!

But it was fine. 



No comments:

Post a Comment