Friday, March 25, 2022

Really? Wow...

This is the second piece in the series, if you are just starting here I suggest you go back and read:

 One

June 2021

Really? Wow…

 

There is a common belief that a staunch Conservative does not change their thoughts about the LGBTQ+ community until they discover that community is part of their family. It’s even part of my own story of leaving the church. When I realized my nephew was gay (or would mostly likely be gay, as he was only a toddler at the time) I could not reconcile the church’s teachings that it was a choice to be gay with this little child. He was not making a choice. He was who he was. Once that piece fell the rest of the house of cards fell apart and I left.

It doesn’t always happen though. Sometimes the choice is made to stay with the conservative belief set and reject the family member. Which is heartbreaking. I’ve never understood it. How do you do that? And I’ve had people in the church tell me that it was because my faith wasn’t strong enough. I disagree, I think my faith was stronger. We just had faith in different things.

So, what happens when it’s flipped? When all of your liberal, accepting beliefs towards the outside world come closer? When it’s not a friend, or the child of friend but it’s your own child? What happens then? Do you practice what you preach, so to speak, or do you have a different reaction that is antithetical to your professed beliefs?

I told you earlier that my first words were Really? Wow. Because it did seem to come out of the blue. He wasn’t a feminine little boy. He isn’t a feminine man. I was completely unaware that this was something he was feeling. That he was in the wrong body. That he didn’t feel “right.”

Now, I mentioned my nephew before. He has always been really feminine. Still is. Paints his nails, does makeup, wears big flashy jewelry. He and his friends use she/her pronouns half the time. Which is common among some gay men. They call each other sis and say she. It’s been like this for so long that when he sent me a message that he wanted to talk to me about a big change coming in his life I actually assumed he was going to transition. That wasn’t it, it was his weight loss surgery, but I would not have been shocked by the other at all. But that was Brian. Christopher has never really said or done anything that made me think he would be the one to transition.

We talked about how he came to this realization. Briefly. Like I mentioned, he waited until the end of his visit to say anything. He wanted to tell us in person. Wanted to tell us both at the same time. But didn’t want to lay it on us right before we left for New Mexico and leave us to deal with this new information while dealing with the last of his grandmother’s estate. Basically, he wanted to let us know, then give us some time and space to process it all. But we did talk a little bit about it. How he came to understand that this is who he is.

It’s been a multiyear process. It’s not something he just woke up one day and realized OH! This is it! He likened it to when he first got his glasses. We lived in Colorado at the time, near Pike’s Peak. A GIANT mountain. That he’d never seen in any sort of detail. It had just been a blurry shape on the edge of his awareness. But because that had always been the way he saw the world he thought that was the way everyone saw the world. It wasn’t until he got his glasses that he realized it wasn’t like that for everyone else. He has never been comfortable in his body. He’s always felt a kind of emptiness or detachment. But he didn’t realize that it wasn’t the way everyone else felt.

It’s been a process for him to realize why. It wasn’t until he read some things written by other trans individuals describing the same feelings, and the change that happened after they started to transition that he realized there could be something different for him. As he explained I still kept circling back in my head to “but you’ve never been really feminine” and this is insane because I’m not overly feminine. I mean, I’m built like a cartoon version of woman, that’s just genetics, but my main wardrobe is t-shirts, hoodies and jeans. I do have a few girly things, but it’s not my staple. I’ve always felt more comfortable around men or non-traditional women. His mirror on the feminine world has been me. Who rails against gender norms and stereotypes all of the time. Who honestly believes that we are all on a spectrum of gender presentations and it’s just society that tries to box us into one or the other and still…I was sitting there trying to identify feminine traits in my transgender child.

Those gender norms are pervasive, people. They are there in your head even when you don’t think they are, or when you have been trying for years to get people to see they aren’t needed.

I apologized to him for not being a good resource on “girl” while he goes through this. I will not be the “Oh yay! We can go shopping together!” mom. I’m a little too butch for all of that. I told him caftans and muumuus are wonderful and comfortable as far as dresses go. We did talk about the pressure for women and clothing is different. Even when I’m in jeans and a t-shirt I am expected to look a certain way. Men get a lot more freedom in the schlub department. But honestly, as he feels more comfortable in his own body. As he embraces the she that she wants to be that “clothing is a thing I have to do I have no cares about it” could very well fade. We might end up with a fashionista on our hands. It’s all new and unknown at this point.

So, I know I’ve talked mostly about me here and there are two parents in this house so I’m going to give you a bit of Brent’s perspective here. I can’t give you all of it because I’m not him, but I don’t want you to think he moved away or something. 

Oddly enough a few weeks ago we were talking about trans issues and there was a story that had been out about how many people in the US knew a trans person. It’s higher now than it has been, but it’s still a fairly low percentage. Brent said he didn’t think he personally knew anyone. He knew of some people, he knew people who knew people, but the only person he knew that was trans is one of the rare people who transitioned back. His basic take on it all though was that it was none of his business. People could do what they wanted to do, just let him know how they want to be referred to, so he didn’t inadvertently insult them and that was all he needed to know.

I asked Brent on the way home from the airport how he was doing. He’s a silent person most of the time. It’s hard to gauge sometimes how he is doing, even for me. While we were talking to C about the future we talked about work and when he comes out there. He isn’t sure how it’s going to go. Gaming isn’t exactly a safe space for women, and as we talked about any place that isn’t safe for cis women is exponentially more dangerous for trans women. Brent told him to make sure he had a plan in place before he approached them. That was about all he said. Now, granted, I talked a LOT. I had a lot of questions. There was a lot of information I wanted to get before the plane left.  It was our usual dynamic; Brent is silent because he’s a fairly silent person but also because I don’t leave him a lot of space to fill.

Which lead to the question on the way home from the airport. How are you doing with all of this? He said that he was fine. That there was a lot there to take in but basically, it’s still none of his business. If this is what makes his child feel better, if this is what they need to be their most authentic self then that’s fine. He also said that it made a few things from C’s childhood make more sense. Which once he said that I started to revisit the way I viewed his childhood. And though I kept saying that there were no signs, I have to adjust that to say there were no overt signs. There were little things here and there that now make total sense but weren’t enough for me to recognize at the time. I wish we had. But then again, I have no idea how we would have dealt with all of this twenty years ago. It could have been more damaging than helpful.

I have a lot to learn. We have a lot to learn. It’s going to be a process, but I am glad to report that it didn’t change either one of our belief systems. Brent is still firmly in the this is none of my business camp. I am still in the you do what makes you feel right and comfortable in your own body camp. We are both still firmly in the I love my child no matter what camp. I think that’s the part that matters most and will help us all along this new journey the most.


Next

No comments:

Post a Comment