Sunday, September 8, 2024

Books Chapter 9...

 Book Chapter Eight

“It’s Ellie, right?”

“Yeah…” Ellie was trying to place the person asking. She didn’t recognize her from any classes, but she did seem familiar.

“I thought I remembered right. I was at your reading last week. I have to say I’m really impressed.”

“Oh,” Ellie could feel herself starting to blush, “Oh, thanks a lot.”

“How long have you been writing?”

“Since I discovered it was something people did. Like, books were written by actual people, they didn’t just appear in the library by magic.”

“It’s still kind of magic. Even if there are people behind them. Or at least that’s sort of what I think. Books can be magic. What you read last week was magic.”

“I don’t know about that but thank you again.”

“I’m making you uncomfortable. I’m sorry. I’m really bad at not just sharing what’s on my mind. I know most people hate it, but I think…”

“It would be so much easier if everyone did it!” Ellie interrupted.

“Exactly! I’m Jade, by the way.”

“Hi, Jade, I’m Ellie. But you knew that. Now you know that officially.” Ellie shook her head. “You know what I mean.”

“I do. Would you mind if I sat with you and asked you a few more questions? You can tell me if I’m imposing. Like I said, I wish everyone would just say what was on their minds.”

Ellie checked her watch, “I’ve got to take off in like fifteen minutes to meet my friend but you’re welcome to sit with me until then.”

“Thanks.” Jade sat down and opened her backpack taking out an old black composition notebook.

“Are you going to take notes?”

“Yeah, know it’s weird, but my brain is really busy. When I write things down as I listen it helps me to focus on them. Sometimes it helps me to get the ideas to stick, or to make sense, or to connect. It sort of slows down my monkey chatter. I think that’s why I love books. I can focus on the words and on the pages and it sort of shuts down everything else.”

“Are you a note taker when you read?”

“I am. I’m constantly writing things down to try and figure out exactly what I think about them. You know? Like you read something in a book, and it strikes you, but you aren’t sure why. What does it mean? Sometimes it ends up not meaning anything but you just like the way the words feel in your head.”

Ellie smiled.

“Okay, I know I sound a little crazy when I talk like that, but I figure someone who writes like you do must understand that words have a feel to them. If not, you can pretend I never said a word and we can start over.”

“No, I think it makes total sense. There are some words that just feel good to read, and to say. They have a weight to them. I get it.”

“Okay, back to my intrusive questions. How did you get the courage to share what you’ve written? Every time I think about showing someone else my work I back out. I’m afraid that they will hate it, and then that would mean they hate me because I created that.”

“Wow. Okay, so the first time I shared something with someone they did hate it.”

“You’re kidding? How could they hate what you write?”

“You’ve only heard one small piece of what I’ve written over the past 18 years. And that piece was written and rewritten and thrown away and dug back out of the deleted files folder and written again. My first piece was a poem about a dog. And I shared it with my half-sister who told me I should give it to the dog to eat because that would make it better.”

“Harsh!”

“It was harsh, but it was also probably true, and I did appreciate her honesty. But I was only 6 so looking back it’s understandable that it was crap. At the time though I had been really proud of it and thought since she liked our dog more than she liked any of us she would like the poem as well.”

“And sisters can be mean.”

“Yes, they can. The next person who saw my writing was my best friend and she loved it and encouraged me to do more of it. Also, probably not an unbiased source, but at least this time it was in the opposite direction.”

“How about your parents?”

“The only writing of mine they’ve ever seen have been school assignments. Maybe now it would be okay, but I used to write a lot of really dark things in high school, and I think they would have wanted to send me straight to therapy. Not understanding that the writing was my therapy.”

“But your friend was fine with the dark things?”

“I don’t know that she ever considered them overly dark.”

“Oh well now I’m intrigued.”

“She’s an intriguing person. And one I said I’d meet five minutes ago. It was nice to meet you, Jade. I hope to see you in writing group next week. Maybe we can get you more comfortable with sharing your own stuff.”

“Nice to meet you too. And maybe, I’d really like to for sure. I just need to find the guts.”

Books Chapter Ten

No comments:

Post a Comment