Thursday, October 26, 2023

Overnights...

"Oh no, I can't work that shift. I turn into a husk overnight."

"Everyone is going to have to take a night shift, Darlene. We are going to rotate them through so you should only have one or two a month, but everyone is going to have to pitch in."

"But I can't work that shift. I specifically said when I was hired that I was only available from 9 to 5."

"I understand that you are disappointed but right now we are in a crisis mode and everyone has to pitch in. If you don't want to be a team player you are going to need to find a new job."

"Okay. I mean, I guess if that's the way it has to be. You can fire me."

"Well, I'm not going to fire you. You are going to have to quit."

"I'm not going to quit and give up my unemployment benefits. I mean, that's not happening. It will take me awhile to get another position. One that sticks to its hiring promises. You are going to have to fire me."

"Even if I fire you as long as it's with cause you don't get unemployment benefits anyway. So you might as well quit."

"But this isn't with cause. This is you changing the terms of my employment. I have my original agreement and I will use it to sue if I have to, which I don't really want to do. Aside from this conversation right now I've enjoyed working here and I would like to continue to work here, but I cannot take that night shift."

"How would that look to everyone else? If you don't take your turn they will have to take extras. You will be being shown favoritism and I would imagine that will make your coworkers not care for you much."

"Are you trying to intimidate me now? How about instead of trying to get your current day staff to cover your shortages at night you hire more night shift workers. Don't put your failure to be able to staff on us."

"Do you think we haven't tried to find workers for the overnight shifts? It's very difficult out there. Nobody wants to work."

"Nonsense. People want to work. I'm telling you right now that I want to continue working for you and you are trying to get me to quit. People just don't want to work for what you want to pay them or the demands you want to put on their time. Pay fair wages, in fact I would bet if you paid more for the overnight shift than you do the day shift you'd have plenty of people willing to work that shift."

"But then we would be short during the day."

"Maybe, maybe not. Maybe people would view the day shift as more pleasurable so they'd be willing to take a little less. A little being the key. There can be a night shift bonus. People understand that inconvenience can come with a cost."

"Is that what this is? You want a bonus for working nights?"

"No. I've told you. I cannot work that shift. I'm just trying to help you solve your problems here since I think you are handling it badly. Nobody likes to be threatened."

"You think you were being threatened? I swear this generation is so soft."

"You don't think telling me to look for a new job is threatening me?"

"It's just consequences."

"Fine, but the threat is that I will face consequences if I don't work that shift. Which, I've told you, I can't."

"I am going to go to my boss with this conversation and we'll have to see what she says."

"I'd go to her with the idea of hiring a few more night shift workers with that bonus pay instead and see if that gets you your own bonus. It's a good idea. I bet you'd fill positions right away. I actually know someone who prefers night shift work and would jump at a job that paid them more to do it."

"Really? Why didn't you say you had someone who might want the job?"

"I said they'd probably jump at the job if it paid more. They have a job right now, but more money is always nice. But as I'm assuming this conversation isn't going anywhere it's almost time for me to clock out so you can let me know what happens with your boss and if I'm being fired tomorrow."

Darlene left her fuming boss and packed up her things to go home. She would really hate to have to find work again. Searching and interviewing was always such a pain. Though making sure she got her hours in writing usually wasn't an issue. Sometimes a holiday party or a team building exercise caused a conflict. She did have to quit one job that wanted her to start traveling. That was a nonstarter. 

She got home and checked the clock. Traffic had been a little bad but it was only 5:30. She had time to have a little dinner and leave a note for her sister. "Might have a job lead for you, night shift at my office answering customer service calls. I'll let you know how it pans out." She taped it to the front of the fridge where they left all of their correspondence. 

Notes were the only way they ever communicated. They hadn't seen each other since their 16th birthdays when the division happened. She wondered sometimes who the first Poaso set of twins was. Did they make some sort of bargain that now what theirs to bear? She and her sister had worked out many different stories, some heroic, one twin sacrificing for the other. Some villainous, a deal made by an evil parent for riches. Some just a bad deal with a genie who claimed half of everything they would ever have. 

She washed her dishes and got ready for bed. She didn't need to set an alarm. Seven to seven. Those were her hours. She'd wake when she was back, until then she was nothing but a husk. She whispered good morning as she faded out. 

In the bed next to her Deborah opened her eyes. Seven o'clock. Time to get started on her night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment