Friday, April 26, 2024

Latest Sleep Hilarity...

I talked about making the mistake on clicking the ad for sleep aids, but that apparently wasn't my worst move lately. 

I picked back up the Calm app. I try here and there to do a more formal meditation practice. To see if I can clear out some of the chatter, or at least redirect it in a better manner. Well one of the guided meditations they have is Seven Days of Sleep. It's supposed to help you settle in and sleep better. There is a day time component and a right before bedtime one. So I've been doing it for the past five days. 

And I've been getting terrible sleep. 

I joke all the time that you can call me Insomnius of Borg. There isn't a sleep patch, pill, system out there that I cannot adapt to and overcome. 

I think the reason this one isn't working is because the bedtime routine ones are screwing up my own bedtime routine. And getting to sleep isn't my greatest challenge. Staying asleep is. Also the daytime meditation focus is about stress and leaving it behind to sleep. I don't have that issue. Not normally. My insomnia isn't tied to a stressful life. It just is.

I'm going to finish out the week since I'm a completist but I can fairly safely say that bedtime guided relaxation isn't for me. I'll go back to my set routine, sort of, I mean we have playoff hockey at least two nights next week and possibly three and then a soccer match on the weekend so it will be over a week before I can truly settle back into my favored routine. By then I should really be ready!

I also ordered one of the sleep supplements to try. I know, it's just going to make the ads worse, but...

This one is a magnesium supplement. It's supposed to help you sleep but more importantly it's supposed to be good for restless leg syndrome. One of the things that happens when I get really tired is I get twitchy legs. It's really hard to fall asleep when you are close to nodding off and KICK out goes your leg. It's very annoying. So I'm hoping that this fixes the leg situation. I'm not super hopeful about the sleep portion of it, but if its stops the legs from twitching that would be good enough. 

They haven't arrived yet, but I'll let you know if they work. 

And then the last part of my sleepless in Hillsboro week...

Last year I bought a sleep program that was based around binaural beats. Basically two different sounds are played in each of your ears (one is each ear) at a low frequency and there is some white noise, masking noise on top of it and it's supposed to help you concentrate if you are prone to busy brain and also help you to sleep. Brain science stuff. I thought it was interesting and it wasn't terribly expensive so I bought it. Ears buds and access to their sound library. One of the things they really stressed was how great it was that it wasn't app based, all web based. 

Well a few weeks ago I noticed that one of my widgets on my phone screen was gone. It wasn't something I used often enough to automatically know what it was. Well it was the link to the website for the binaural library. And, this is the funny part, I don't have the card with the website information anymore because a few months ago I saw I still had the box for the earbuds and was like...why do I keep phone boxes and ear bud boxes? I don't need them. Silly. And I threw it away. Not remembering that I was keeping that specific box because it had the QR code I had to scan to get to the website with the whole system on it. 

Happy ending, I emailed the company and they sent me a link to their new app that they have now instead of the website. Turns out that's why my widget disappeared, they took down the website. 

It does make me laugh that they were so pleased that they didn't have an app right up until the point that they had one. And that when I finally tossed out an empty headphones box it was the ONE headphones box I shouldn't have. 

*sigh*

So anyway, two more days of the Seven Days of No Sleep and hopefully the supplement will get here soon so I can give it a try and stop kicking the cats and the hubby while they are trying to sleep, or at least kicking them accidentally.

No comments:

Post a Comment