Monday, November 22, 2021

NaNoWriMo

On my "On this Day" posts right now I have multiple years where and I so close to being done with NaNoWriMo. That crunch time of trying to get it all finished before Thanksgiving or before vacations started. 

It's the opposite end of the "Yay! This will be so fun!" spectrum that the end of October looking forward to NaNo are. These are the reality ones. The ones where I've squeezed every drop of creative juice from my brain and I'm still 10K words short. 

I didn't do it this year, haven't done it in a few years. I'm pretty sure I'll never do it again. I've done it three years, in three different ways. Each time was interesting and kind of fun at times and also kind of horrible and draining and made me think I'd like to never write another thing again. 

I'm sort of there right now with writing as a whole. 

I talked about it awhile ago. That I've written so little, and more importantly had such a low urge to write, that I didn't even feel like I was really a writer anymore. And then, of course, as soon as I wrote it down I had a little flurry of posts and even a submission that made me think, well maybe. Maybe I'm over the drought and I' will make all of my writing goals this year. 

Or maybe it was just a little hiccup of creative and I'm dry again. 

Could be that. 

I'm looking at the end of the year looming and I need 14 (13 after this) more blogs and 6 of them need to be fiction. I also need to figure out a submission for something that isn't a contest and one that is. Now if I make it out of the first round of the contest I entered last month half of that would be sorted, but I can't really count of suddenly doing well in contests so probably not. And I've got 5 weeks to get it all done. Over the holiday season. 

Sure. 

I mean I totally could, and if you were a betting person you'd look at my track record with hitting my made up goals and probably bet that I will. But still...

It's been a rough stretch again. 

In November I am usually wrapping up current goals and planning the next year's round. Just not this year. 

Which is fine. I think the first quarter of next year will be so wrapped around everything we need to do for the move and getting this house ready to sell that I'm going to be too busy for extra things. And then once we move it's going to take a bit to settle in. I might actually end up back on my old goal schedule of setting them on my birthday once all is said and done.

Or I might hit a moment of inspiration soon and lay out the next year in glorious detail and close this one out with a giant victory flourish and with a lot of filler pieces.


Like this one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment