Thursday, February 11, 2021

Updates...

So we went ahead and started the elimination diet I talked about. Brent doesn't really have any joint pain but he's doing it with me which is nice. But for ten days it's no flour, no meat, no dairy, no alcohol, and no added sugar. Today is the fourth day. 

I was expecting to be cranky and feel a little under the weather. I was thinking it would be like when we did Atkins and those first few days were rough. But I'm guessing since it isn't low carb that's why we aren't feeling icky. Hungry for sure, but not icky. 

I think, maybe, possibly, I felt a little better this morning when I woke up. But not enough to really say YES! THIS WORKS! But it's only the fourth day. Next week I'll know. And I'm not sure which way I want this to go. That yes, something I'm eating is causing my joints to hurt or no, it's not that. If it is food related then I will need to not eat that food. And I love food. 

Like really love it. 

Brent and I were talking about it last night, and how bummed I was not to be buying things for the snow days coming up. I have snow day foods I love. Fresh breads and soups and cookies. Then I said it was the Lunar New Year on Friday and there would be no dumplings this year, which there should be dumplings on the Lunar New Year. And Sunday is Valentine's Day and even though we don't celebrate the holiday it's always nice to get some chocolate on a good deal. I have special food for every event. I just get a lot of pleasure out of eating. 

If I had to choose I would say get rid of the meat. If it's meat then I could work around it I think. Cook meat for Brent and just not for me.

Dairy would be tough. I've done it. I was dairy free for over a year awhile ago. I want to say I did it for almost two, but can't really remember. I was trying to figure out what was triggering my adult cystic acne and dairy kept coming up as a probable culprit. Turned out it wasn't. It was a hormonal imbalance but...I tried. And I dealt with it. No fake cheese, those were just not okay. I just did without even though I missed it at times. I wasn't worried about sugar at the time so used Vanilla Almond milk in my cereal and it was super yummy. I did soy in my lattes (which considering it was a hormone imbalance turns out that was a HORRIBLE choice) and I got used to it, but never really loved it. Now I could do oat or almond even at Starbucks. 

Flour would suck. I love bread. Tortillas have already been the hardest part to not have. Yesterday I was hungry and that's all I wanted. But there are some substitutes I could do that would be...eh. But do able.

No alcohol would be a slight bummer but I've gone decades between drinks before so it would just be a matter of getting back OUT of the habit of having a drink now and then. It would be a lot more then than now. Brent would have to learn how to drink alone without guilt. But I know I can be completely sober without an issue.  

Added sugar is what it is. I've cut it out during this stretch (lots of fruit so it's not tough) and we only eat it on the weekends anyway so if I were to cut it back even more, which I know I probably should, that would suck at times but wouldn't be impossible. And especially if I have to cut flour and or dairy. Since added sugar comes in the form of baked goods and ice cream right now. Cut one of those and the other goes down. 

But I'm sort of hopeful that it isn't any of those. Because I love to eat. And I love to have a nice bourbon and ginger ale as well. 

But if it isn't any of those them I'm at square one. Is it just because I'm older? Is it just because I am heavier right now than I should be? I will have to go in to the doctor and see if she wants to run any tests or if she will just tell me "Hey, see this number? Lower it and then see how your joints feel." with the implied Fatty at the end. 

But that's where I am with this latest experiment. Just at the beginning. Not sure what the results are going to be. Not sure what I want them to be either so we will just see. 

Which is what experiments are right? Run it and see what you find out. A negative result is still a result.

I'm just not sure which would be more negative... 

No comments:

Post a Comment