Saturday, January 1, 2022

New Year, New Me! (Just Kidding!)....

Okay, 2022, here we go. So much pressure to put on an arbitrary date. But we all do it. And there are really sound psychological reasons for it. The human mind likes gates. Likes beginnings. Likes patterns. And so we imbue certain dates and days with almost mystical powers. Birthdays, anniversaries, Mondays...and especially the first day of the new year. January 1. Clean slate day. Here we go day. Let's do this day!

So...let's do this. 

What am I working on in 2022? What are my goals this year?

Well...

Not goalless because that was 2020 and now I've given 2020 mythical powers of suckage and so much is wrapped up in superstition about that year that no goals will not happen again for a very long time. But I'm also looking at moving in the first part of 2022 and settling in to a new house and I'm not actually sure how much of my time is going to be carved out with just that, I don't want to make a goal list and then find out I've got an entire month where I've done nothing at all. And a few months where I've done very little. 

So what does that mean?

I've decided to do a few overarching goals but for the most part I'm going to do them by quarters. Keep moving forward on cool things (for me, in my mind) but not end up feeling like I've let myself down by not being able to do something that I just didn't have time for. It seems like a good plan to me. 

Overarching goals first!

Weight/fitness: I want to make sure I maintain my workouts and keep working on flexibility. I also want to lose about 5 more pounds. That would put me at a weight I'm very comfortable at. It's not thin by any means, but it's not heavy either. I had given up ever getting to that weight again a few years ago because of menopause and how my metabolism has gone wonky, but this year showed me that I actually can still lose weight and build more muscle, I just have to work harder than I used to. So overall; maintain fitness, gain some more flexibility and lose a few more pounds. 

Reading: I'm setting the number fairly low. I know I'm going to be busy for long stretches which means I might only have bedtime reading time. But I will still read so that's going to be 60 books. I don't have a series or anything I'm looking to clear but I'm thinking I need to spend some time clearing off my Kindle of the books I've bought, been given, got for free, and not get new until a few of those are out. But that's so hard to do when a new book in a series or by an author I love comes out. I'm working on a plan there there. Maybe new, old, new, old? Not sure yet. But 60 books this year.

Amazon shopping: still working on using them less. I am aiming for fewer than 91 purchases overall. Fewer than 40 non-gift, non-grocery things. They haven't gotten any less icky than they were last year so I need to keep working toward not using them. (EDIT 1/31 Realizing that with moving house this year this might not actually be a goal I reach. So many places are using Amazon as a storefront now and I will need so many new things. So if I don't hit this goal this year I'm not going to beat myself up too much. But I am going to try to keep my shopping choices mindful)

And now for the first three months of this year. 

The main goals are to get the house and us prepped for the move. That covers a LOT of ground. Rooms need sorted and packed. Things for the new house need purchased. Contractors for projects in the new and the old house need booked. The move needs to happen. All of it will take huge chunks of time. 

So that's the main thing with January-March. I'm going to break down each month into chunks as well. So here's January:

Write: Ten blogs. I'll have more time in January so I want to make sure I take the time to sit down a few times a week and write. I don't have a fiction/nonfiction goal. Just writing. Whatever comes to mind. What I don't want to do is just stop writing all together because I decided not to publish. I still like writing. I still like sharing with the four of you. So I want to make it a priority in January. 

Read: Five books. This will get the year kicked off. I need to read a little over a book a week to reach my goal, or five books a month. I honestly think January I will over achieve on that number, but I have a lot of other things to get done as well so I don't really want to think I *should* be reading, when no, actually it would be more productive if I did a...

Workout: Five days a week. Balance out weights, cardio and stretching

Or if I was...

Sorting: Upstairs. January will be for sorting out all of the upstairs. I want to sort through all of our closets and shelves and get rid of anything that I don't want to move, maybe start packing up things we are moving, and start the repair touch ups on other things. Like nail holes in the wall, scuff and scratch marks that need repaired and painted, that sort of thing. Floor by floor gets the job done in time, right? I'd really like to get the house on the market within a week or so of moving out. Move, have the carpets cleaned, have the whole house cleaned, put it on the market. Boom, boom, boom. But to do that I need to start ahead. So January begins that process.

And that's it. 

I'll set February in well, February. 

So Happy New Year! I hope the year is a great one for all of us and as my friend Carol put it, may 2022 love us back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment