Monday, March 1, 2021

Face the Music...

"Have you ever considered going blonde?"

She turned to face him completely so he could see the full eye roll. "No."

"I mean, not that your hair isn't fine the way it is, but you know..."

She gave a small laugh. "Yes, I know. But no, I have never been tempted. I like my brown hair and I know what I'd look like blonde so..."

This time he gave a small laugh. "Okay fair enough."

He washed another dish and handed it to her. 

"So, umm...do you think that Rachel is..."

She was tempted to let him struggle. Let him feel awkward as he asked her a question that wasn't really a question for her at all. But she had told Rachel she would be nice.

"Go ahead. I'm not going to be insulted."

"Do you think Rachel is like you?"

Oh well maybe a little insulted. And maybe not totally nice. "Like me? Wonderful? Intelligent?"

He had the good graces to at least look a little embarassed. "Well I know she's like that. But...you know what I mean."

"Is she bi? No, I don't think so. She's always said she's straight so I have to believe that."

"Oh you're bi? I thought you were just a lesbian."

"Just a lesbian..."

"Well you know what I mean. She told me you might bring your new girlfriend to dinner so I just assumed."

"Yes, I'm dating a woman right now. Doesn't change anything else. But as far as I know Rachel is males exclusively. But you could always ask her."

"There really isn't a way to ask that without sounding like I'm looking for a three way."

This time she laughed loudly. "Yeah, I guess it does seem like that doesn't it? Well unless she brings it up then, I'd just assume that she's strictly hetero."

"Does that bother you?"

She dried her hands on the dishtowel. "Why would it?"

"Well I mean, you guys have been friends for a long time. Does it bother you that she doesn't..."

She smirked, "That she doesn't find me attractive?"

He smiled, "Fair enough."

She stepped back and looked at him. "Have you ever considered growing some facial hair? Like a goatee or a beard or anything?"

"I hadn't. But maybe..."

Rachel came into the kitchen as her best friend and her new boyfriend shared a laugh over the washed dishes. 

"You guys are the best! Thank you for doing that!"

"Are you kidding? Dinner was wonderful. Cleaning up was the least we could do. And besides, it gave us a little time to get to know each other."

"I know! You were talking to intently you didn't even notice the picture I took. I posted it on my Insta with the hashtag, new kitchen help." 

"You posted it?"

"I did. Look..." Rachel opened her phone to show them the picture and got distracted by the notifications.

*Oh my god! I didn't know Julie had a brother!*

*How cute they are! They look exactly alike!*

*Wow, you can tell they are related for sure!*

*Twins or just close in age?*

Rachel read all of the comments then looked from her best friend to her boyfriend and back. 

"Well...that's awkward."


(The prompt was Your best friend is excited for you to meet their new beau. They've talked them up so much that you're actually nervous to meet them. When you finally see them you have to catch your breath...you'd recognize that face anywhere.)

No comments:

Post a Comment