Monday, January 20, 2020

Time Traveling Through Facebook Posts...

Eleven years ago today I was watching President Barack Obama being sworn in for his first term as Bush the younger was on his way out.

Three years ago today I was watching President Trump being sworn in as Obama was leaving the building.

Two totally different feelings for sure.

I was super optimistic about Obama's first term. The things I thought he had a chance at getting done. The way the country seemed to be feeling the positive message of change from the end of Bush's term. Even my conservative friends were glad to see Bush leave.

That optimism was misplaced. McConnell was very successful in blocking a lot of what Obama wanted to accomplish over both of his terms. Which was incredibly frustrating, during the first half of the first term especially, because there were majorities and Dems could have run the table with legislation. But they didn't. They tried to get buy in from the Republicans. Who not only didn't give it, they then said that what was passed was forced on them without any input... which is a lie. It just is. It's a lie that has been repeated so many times that people believe it to be true, but the facts don't support it. No matter how many times you've heard it.

There were also things that he didn't tackle that I wanted him to. And things he did that I disagreed with. A lot of people on the opposite political spectrum than I am like to pretend that we all thought Obama was perfect and never criticized him for things he did that we felt were wrong. Again, that's not true. There was a lot of criticism. Especially around three areas, not getting a single payer system passed, not focusing on fixing immigration when he had the majorities (which ties back to how much time was spent trying to get buy in from Republicans when it was never going to come), and drone strikes. For me you could add (which you can see) frustration in his no drama style meaning he never ever learned that Republicans were dealing in bad faith with him. Constantly. He insisted on thinking reasonable people would be reasonable instead of seeing they weren't and wouldn't. It makes him a good person, and I do appreciate that, but it made his administration less effective.

(Also time to remind everyone that the Obama administration told members of Congress that the Russians were interfering in our election with the intent of supporting Trump and McConnell told Obama if he told the American people before the election that he would make sure to paint it as partisan lies and as the administration interfering in the election. He then, knowing about the interference, withheld Obama's Supreme Court pick from confirmation, essentially betting on Russia being successful in their interference. When you see him chafing at the nickname Moscow Mitch know that he earned it.)

When Trump was being sworn in and then gave the now famous American Carnage speech I was worried, I was feeling pretty pessimistic. I made a couple of posts about what I hoped he was successful at and what I hoped he failed at and well...my pessimism wasn't misplaced. So does that mean I should have been more optimistic in that this time I would be right?

We are three years in to his first term. What I hope will be his only term but I'm not sure it will be. He still speaks to the worst, and there seem to be a lot of them. And he somehow speaks in a way that makes those that don't like to believe they are the worst still feel okay voting for him, for the money. Which, as you know, I think makes them even more craven. If you are an unabashed racist and you are voting for Trump because of his racist views, well you're a piece of shit but at least you are upfront about it. If you are voting for Trump because he's a misogynist, same deal. If you are voting for Trump because you just want to see liberals cry, well there you go. You are just an asshole and assholes gonna asshole.

But if you are voting for Trump knowing all of those things about him and say things like, "well he's not a good guy but...my money." Then you are willing to sell your morals out for cash and that makes you pretty damn awful. It means you have no core, it's all negotiable. You have no bottom. You have no line that cannot be bought and moved. You're trading your soul for thirty pieces of silver.

We've got just over 9 months until election day.

I'm pessimistic that the assholes are going to carry the day again.

I'm optimistic that people will vote him out.

It just depends on the moment you catch me.

For now we will watch the impeachment trial unfold and know that this circus was always going to end impeached but not removed and nobody's opinions changed as to who he is and what he's done.

So...

Just over 9 months to go. What happens this time? Optimism or pessimism?

Tick...tick...tick...


No comments:

Post a Comment