Wednesday, April 24, 2019

First Quarter Submission Rejection...


My submission for the first quarter was a 53 Word Story with the prompt The High Road. I wrote three stories and then submitted the one I liked the best.  Each has the same title, The High Road, so when you see it you are on to the next.

Fifty three words isn't a lot to work with. I haven't seen the winning story just yet...but I really can't be too mad about not winning this one. I wrote all three of these in about 20 minutes. Not my best stuff, but amusing.



The High Road

There are two ways out of the valley. She could go over the mountain or around it.  The mountain road was shorter, time was money they said. The valley road took at least two hours longer, but better safe than sorry they said. To each road there is a season she always said.


 The High Road

A beatific smile from above looks like a sanctimonious smirk when viewed from below. A frown of concentration looks like a scowl of anger. Working toward the middle ground made the earth shift under her feet and left her questioning everything she thought she knew. Right or wrong, everything depends on the angles.


The High Road

“Have you ever considered not taking the bait?”

“Why would I?”

“To be the better person.”

“Better? Who decided that was better?”

“Kindness is always better.”

“How is weakness better than strength?”

“How is kindness weak?”

“Kindness opens you up to pain.”

“Then kindness must be strength.”

He hadn’t even felt the hook.

No comments:

Post a Comment