Saturday, February 5, 2022

World Views...

I've talked about it before and I am sure I'll talk about it again but sometimes it's still shocking to see the totally different worlds we all live in now. 

Don't read any further if you are a fan of The Masked Singer and have somehow missed the spoiler for the first episode and the controversy surrounding it. 

Okay? We good?

When I saw the headline about Giuliani being on the show and Robin and Ken walking off set when he was revealed I was disgusted. Then I was mad. Then I had to admit my kid saw it coming back when they had Sarah Palin on. The network is using Masked Singer the same way they use Dancing with the Stars. It's the normalization and rehabilitation stop. Sean Spicer's first thing (I think it was his first) after leaving the White House was Dancing with the Stars after all. These are just people having fun!

And okay, sure, on one level that's absolutely true. Just people. I don't like Sarah Palin and at the time though it was a little shocking to see her on the show I thought at least she seems to have a bit of a sense of humor about herself. And I also thought that since she wasn't currently in politics, her family has now turned to reality TV to support themselves, really. Then it wasn't such a big deal. 

I stopped watching Dancing with the Stars a long time ago so though I thought it was way too soon for Spicer to be doing the rounds of "hey, I'm so fun!" I didn't really think much about it. Just ick for the most part. 

But this? Giuliani is still under investigation. He's still a prime person of interest in promoting the Big Lie which in and of itself is such a soft fucking term. He's one of the people who worked the hardest to overthrow a valid election. Insurrectionist piece of shit is what I'm saying. 

Numerous people on Fox had to sign off on him being on the show. Numerous. And nobody seemed to think treason was a good reason not to have him. 

Last year they had one of the Duck Dynasty guys on. So they are always trying to find inroads with their conservative audience. So I would expect every year to have someone who is not exactly my cup of tea get unmasked. But this? 

I took the show off of my season pass list and that's it for me. He's a treasonous son of a bitch. He's still out there peddling lies. Trump is still encouraging people to block voters, disregard votes that don't line up the way he wants them to, and to say that the last election was fraudulent, which again, it wasn't. Over and over it's been shown the only shenanigans were his. 

And then I saw the reaction from the right. 

And oh my gosh! It was a miracle! They were mad too! They were going to stop watching the show as well! They were livid that...

oh wait...

They were mad that Robin and Ken walked off the set. 

Well it was close to a bipartisan moment anyway. 

So I watched them post and talk about it and was just reminded again how very differently we see the world. They don't view January 6th as any big deal. Not anymore. Even the ones who, on the day, while it was happening, when they were watching it unfold, were aghast, appalled, called it for what it was. But now? Now that the right has spun and spun and spun they are pretty sure it was just a peaceful protest and an example of good citizens using their free speech to...not call for Mike Pence's death, that's for sure, that wasn't it. Not try and overthrow the election results, oh no that's not it. But something. Just something really peaceful. 

Trump is back to committing crimes in public so they don't think they are crimes. He said in a speech that if he's elected again he would pardon all of the people involved in January 6th. He also said if elections don't go the way "they should" that his people should march on New York, Atlanta...you know like they did DC. He's witness tampering and calling for more January 6th style violence. But in public. So they are good with it. 

It's been his M.O. the whole time. He just says the crime he's committing. Or just does it in the open. Then people think, well surely this can't be illegal or he wouldn't be so brazen. But it is. And he is. And if it weren't him they'd be livid. But he sure sticks it to the left so yay.

So yeah, just another reminder this week that even though we all agree and think Fox should be ashamed of themselves we completely disagree on why. We just don't see the world the same way. At all. 

I'm still not sure how we get back to a state where our differences aren't about to tear us completely apart. And where we should all agree that treasonous sons of bitches shouldn't be on TV variety shows. Unless it's like the Kissinger Who's A Bad American Hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment