Friday, May 21, 2021

Does it Serve You?

Man, how many times have I written this blog? Seriously...if I weren't so lazy I could go back and find at least a dozen I would guess. But still...

Don't do things that don't serve you. 

Just don't.

Why am I writing this blog AGAIN today?

Well let's see...

This morning I was doing some chores around the house and was thinking, "I'm just so much more productive in the morning."

Which is true. I am more motivated. I am more likely to stay moving once I get up and get moving. I can and will tear through a list of things to do by 10 if I start at 7 rather than trying to do the same list starting at noon and trying to finish by...tomorrow. How does tomorrow sound?

It's just the way I am wired. 

Now, why was I having that conversation with myself? Because I keep trying to "balance my schedule." You know spread things out. Do a few chores in the morning. Then read for a little bit. Then a few more chores. Then workout. Then write. Then finish the chores. Then cook dinner. Balanced schedule. But more often than not I get the first round of things done (breakfast, make smoothies, tidy up the kitchen) then sit down to read for my allotted hour and then...well...then it's time to workout and I've skipped the morning set of chores but I really need to get my workout done so I can have my smoothie as lunch before I get to hungry...

And then after I work out and I am drinking my smoothie and sitting down to read for a bit, well, then it's time to rush around and scoop the litter and run the sweeper at least before I start dinner. Skipping all of the other things I had thought about doing. 

But if I never sit down in the morning and I just keep going I've got a good chunk of the things I wanted to get done, done before I ever go upstairs to workout. Sometimes including writing. I can cram a lot into the morning hours because a body in motion tends to stay in motion while a body at rest doesn't really want to get off the couch. (I'm pretty sure that's how that expression goes)

So anyway...I need to stop trying to balance the day and just know that for me an actually balanced day is get the things done that aren't as fun, then sit down to read and enjoy that without thinking about the chores that I am just ignoring at that point. 

Don't do things that don't serve you. 

The second reason I'm writing this blog AGAIN is because of the socks. 

I mentioned on a status awhile ago that I have a sock problem. I love a fun sock. But I can't wear crew socks even though I have a half a dozen (at least) pairs of really fun crew socks. I have thick calf muscles (it's not just my arms that are "muscles like man") But see...I figured that one out. I scrunch them down and wear them anyway. Not for long. Usually just when Brent and I go for a walk, I'll slip those on instead of my workout socks. Yes, I have workout socks. Bombas. They are the best...and the reason for this blog.

See, I wear Bombas for my workouts. They are sized (yay!!) and really comfortable, low enough rise that they don't cut off my circulation, high enough that they don't slip into the shoe never to be seen again. They have this really great arch weave that kind of hugs your foot. Honestly great socks. But not cheap.

Which is where my problem came. 

I tried buying some of their knee highs. The reviews said that they would stretch for wider calves. So I bought some thick ones and some thin ones. Super excited. And well...I don't know whose wider calves they were measuring but they surely weren't mine. 

And I must have bought them at a time I was thinking that somehow my calves would get thinner. I do this every once in awhile. I think if I don't do calf raises at the gym, or lower my weight there at least, they will get slim. Spoiler alert, they won't. They don't even get much squishier. I just have large calf muscles. I have big legs all over. I can kick down a door if you ever need me to. Just so you know. 

But anyway, I have like seven (7!!!) pairs of these Bombas knee highs in my sock box. I will never ever wear these Bombas. But when I look at them I think, oh they were so expensive, and I kept them past the return deadline, I can't possibly just get rid of them. 

Because that totally makes sense. Keeping something because I paid a lot for it. Even if I am never going to use it and it's just taking up space.

Sunk cost fallacy. 

We all fall into it at times. Even when we recognize it and can say, "Oh stop it, that's a sunk cost fallacy." 

So today I pulled them out and put them in the Goodwill pile with a couple of shirts that just don't fit my arms. The clothes are not right for my body shape and never will be, so I needed to get rid of them.

Because putting on a shirt that squeezes my arms makes me feel fat, even though I have strong arms, not fat ones. And even if they were fat why in the fuck would I want clothes that make me feel that way instead of saying, here, let's give you room to be comfortable and accepted. Or whatever kind clothes sound like. Same with socks that don't fit my legs. If they can't be scrunched down to keep because they are fucking funny, then they have to go. 

Don't keep things that don't serve you. 

So I'm writing it down, AGAIN, to remind myself and anyone else who needs the reminder, don't do things, or keep things, or think things, that don't serve you. 

If it doesn't work for you, or fit you, or even worse, makes you feel badly about yourself, get rid of it.

Even if it was a really expensive pair of fancy socks. 



No comments:

Post a Comment