Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Interpretations...

"Thank you so much. I just..." she trailed off and wiped the tears from her cheeks, "I guess I just didn't realize how much I needed to hear that. What you do is just, well, it's life changing I think." 

"I'm really happy for you. And I'm just grateful I can help." Fran reached over to pat her client's hand. 

"But I didn't SAY THAT."

"I wish more people were able to have someone like you to help them. You know my therapist said I needed to find closure, but I just didn't think it would ever be possible."

"Never give up hope. You never know what is possible until everything is done. And well, maybe not even then."

They both laughed at the little joke. 

"BUT I NEVER SAID THOSE THINGS!"

Fran walked her to the door. "Let me know if you ever need another session."

"I will. I just need to process all of this. And, if you don't mind, I would like to pass your name on to a friend. She lost her husband a few months ago and I think, when she's ready, this might help her as well."

"Of course. I always appreciate referrals. You have a wonderful rest of your day."

"I NEVER SAID ANY OF THAT!"

Fran locked the front door and spun on her heel. "I KNOW you never said that, but what you did say wasn't helpful."

"But she did look fat in that dress and it was a horrible color for her. Who else is going to let her know if I don't?"

"Nobody. Nobody is going to let her know. Because she looked fine. The color was fine, the dress was fine, her weight is fine. She's a beautiful woman. You telling her that you were sorry for being so judgmental was exactly what she needed to hear."

"BUT I DIDN'T SAY THAT!"

"You didn't. But you should have. You should have told her how sorry you were for hurting her feelings and damaging her self esteem. You should have told her that having her was the best thing you ever did. That being her mother was your greatest joy and that it was only fear that made you say those things. Fear that she would be like you. Have your problems. And that it wasn't until gaining the perspective of seeing a whole life that you realized it. And how much you wished you had done things differently and hoped for her forgiveness."

"There are so many things she is doing wrong and I need her to hear them. And you didn't tell her!"

Fran held up her hand, "You should have told her that worrying about your approval wasn't necessary because she already has it. You just wish you could have told her when you were still living."

"BUT I DIDN'T SAY THOSE THINGS!"

"No, you didn't. So I did."

"It's not right, what you are doing. It's just not right. You are putting words in to the mouths of people who cannot defend themselves."

Fran shook her head. "I'm just an interpreter. A conduit. A bridge between those that can hear the dead speak and those that cannot."

"Oh bullshit. You heard me loud and clear and you said something different!"

"I heard you loud and clear and I interpreted what you were saying to speak to the living. You had your chance to speak when you were alive and you, well frankly, what you had to say wasn't worth listening to so you should be grateful for what I did."

"Grateful? For you lying?"

"Think about your life. Think about conversations with your daughter. Have you ever had one that ended with her telling you how much she loved you? With tears of joy and relief in her eyes? With her looking forward to your next conversation?"

"Well, I..."

"That's what I thought."

"It's still not right. I didn't say those things. You are a fake and a charlatan!"

"Read my card. Go ahead."

"Francis Peters: Interpreter for the Dead"

"You spoke. I listened. Then I interpreted. Nothing fake there at all, is there?"

"BUT IT'S STILL NOT WHAT I SAID!"

"But it should have been." And with that Fran blew the salt ring away and the spirit that was her client's overbearing and awful mother went with it. Death sometimes changed them. Sometimes it didn't. But Fran was always good at interpreting what they should have said.  



No comments:

Post a Comment