Friday, February 8, 2019

What is that Worth?

I got a pair of shorts today that I ordered from Amazon. I don't wear shorts a lot. I tend to wear skirts. It's just easier to fit my thighs comfortably in skirts than shorts. Which is always a little weird to me, since I can wear pants. But something about when they cut off the pants to make shorts I seem to lose about a half inch in circumference that I need.

Anyway..I got a pair of shorts that I ordered. They looked really cute online and the legs looked really relaxed and roomy. As coincidence would have it I also tried on a pair of shorts that came yesterday from White House Black Market. I bought a dress and a pair of pants from them and had added the shorts as a wishful these will never work moment.

So I tried those on this morning. The WHBM ones. And they fit. And look really cute. AND they have pockets. Now all of the pockets are sewn shut so if I want to use them I'm going to have to take that stitch out, but there are there if I want them. And the shorts are really cute. I was pleased.

The shorts from Amazon? Not so much. Now, the legs were roomy and did fit so that was a plus. But they were odd. A lot of extra material which didn't really drape or fall but just sort of poofed out. Not a great look.

So why am I telling you all of this?

Because my reaction to the shorts from Amazon was to look to see how much I paid for them to see if I was going to keep them anyway. I had a price in my head and if they were below that I would keep them and if they were above I would return.

How weird is that? I had already decided the only way they were getting worn was as a swimsuit bottom cover up to walk to the pool and only if all we were doing was going directly swimming. Not if we decided to shop or site see or anything else. They would strictly be cover ups for a hotel lobby. But I already have a cover up that I like so why would I wear them? Odds are I wouldn't. They would get packed and brought on vacation and then repacked to come home. But if the price was right I was going to do that.

The price was above that so they are going back.

Which should have always been the decision. I don't want them. I don't need them. I don't like them. I won't wear them. I can get the money I paid for them back. The UPS guy was even nice to me yesterday so maybe he will be again today. But I was going to keep them.

Why?

We look at the world in weird ways sometimes. Thinking we are going to do the easy thing when it really doesn't make sense. Or isn't even the easy thing after all.

Opposite money situation yesterday. We needed to fill the tank before the weekend. I was going to go to the grocery store yesterday or today which would push us over the gas discount level. Our store gives a .10 a gallon discount for every $100 you spend. So anyway, my first thought was to go to the store first then go get gas so I could get my discount. And I had convinced myself that was the best option. Then I remembered that getting gas in the afternoon means waiting in line. Getting gas right after the gym there is rarely a line. So was it worth it to me to get my discount and wait? The wait can be around 15 minutes. Not terribly long, but when you are waiting it seems that way. And I debated it for awhile until the logical part of me pointed out that the discount would save me .80. And if I didn't use it that day I would still get my .80 the next time I filled up.

Eighty cents.

I put more thought process in to that than less than a buck was worth for sure. But I was really concerned about saving my .80. Though today I was willing to keep a pair of shorts I would never wear if they cost $10 or less.

We get (or at least I get) really odd with money sometimes. Not spending on one thing, over spending on another. It's just so weird.

What do we think is worth money and what do we think isn't? And what is our time worth? Apparently I will not wait in line for gas for 15 minutes to save .80 and I also won't take an extra trip to the UPS store for less than $10.  So I'm not sure how that balances out...

I don't really have anything wise to say about this right now. Just pondering more than anything else but I will leave you with this link, because it's pretty much me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment