Monday, January 13, 2014

Checking in....

Alright we are a couple of weeks in to January so how is it going? Everyone still sticking with those resolutions? Have you quit smoking, cussing, drinking soda, lost 20 pounds, called your mother and written the next great novel? No? Are you at least still working on it all?

Since I gave you a list of things I was working on I figured I'd give you the quick update today. About half way through, it's a Monday and it gives me time to decide if the other blog in my head is a one off or a two parter....so...

The blog a day in January I think you all can figure out has gone well so far. Sundays are the hardest day to make sure I get one done. Both Sundays have been down to the wire trying to think about what I am going to write. For whatever reason those aren't super contemplative days for me. Probably because all of my mental energy has been used up focusing on helping the 49ers win. What? You think they are doing it based on the men on the field and not the crazy fans watching doing their rituals? You just don't understand sports at all...

Anyway...thirteen days in to January and here we go with blog number 13. So big check mark there for me!

Pull-ups. Or as they are now to be called chin-ups. Because I have a large contingent of parent's of young children on my friend list and for them pull-ups are training pants. So when I post about how well I'm doing with my pull-ups they all start humming "I'm a big girl now!" and it's all over. And technically, even though the Marines say they totally count, the fact that I am doing them underhanded means they really are chin-ups. Okay, so after all of that, how am I doing? Well...I'm officially as fit a a female Marine right now. But only because they rolled back the requirements to the 15 second bent arm hang and I can do that. As far as actual chin-ups go? I swear I moved about 3 centimeters last week from a straight arm position so I'm crushing it.


Also I have this thing now. I ordered it last week and used it for the first time today. It turns my chin-up bar into an assisted one like they have at the gym. Sometime this week I will figure out the math on exactly how much assistance I am currently getting, but the specifics aren't that important to me right now. What is important is that with this thing I can do 5ish chin-ups. Three really beautiful ones. One kind of slow one and one oh holy shit just an inch more and I will make it one. My plan is to lower the strap (lowering the amount of help) when I get to the point where I can do 5 beautiful chin-ups. Progress without as much frustration is the plan. And as I have still given myself 6 months to complete this challenge I'm feeling pretty good about my progress even though it's been slow.

Going back to my Spanish lessons was another goal for the current cycle. And...

Oh! I also had the smaller goals like making sure I did the things I love to do. Like color; did it and even blogged about it so it was a twofer goal. And travel. Trip to Hawaii booked and I've been making and remaking plans for that to make sure that week is jam packed with extraordinary things. And we have gone and looked at a few houses so we are still in the debating cycle for the moving decision. And I cleaned the house and will again. And I took a day to sit on the couch and watch movies on Netflix when I was sick. And...

Okay, so I haven't started the Spanish yet. I will. Or I will figure out that it's a nice idea of mine but not something I am willing to actually put the work in to doing. Like it's a nice idea of mine to eat only locally grown healthy foods. But it's not something I will do all of the time. Because, Snickers.

So that's where I am right now with my current list of goals. How about you? Are you making the progress you want to be making? Are you figuring out that maybe a goal you set for yourself is more of a good idea than a thing you really want to do? Or have your original goals set in motion other goals, or changed them? For instance I was in the middle of working through all of my workout DVDs. I tend to do the same ones over and over and I own quite a few, so in December I started going through them and sorting them as I did the workout, ones I enjoy, ones I never want to do again. But the Hawaii trip made fitness a little more concrete of a goal than experimentation. I'm going to be in a bathing suit in three weeks instead of summer clothes in six months! So that little mini project shifted due to the trip. Now I'm more focused on getting a decent workout in 5 days a week as well as my chin-ups. When we get back from Hawaii I will go back to sorting, but for now Zumba and Karen Voight are my pals. Well as much as Karen is ever my pal. I'm pretty sure she hates me...

Anyway...

For those of you still working towards goals, good luck! For those of you that have figured out your first round of goals weren't the right ones, good for you! Now just pick new ones. And for those of you that have nothing you are working toward right now, why not?


No comments:

Post a Comment