Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Shallow....sh..sh...sh...sh...Shallow....

I watched the Jared Kushner interview on Axios yesterday. He's pretty much exactly who you think he would be. The sort of person who keeps a photograph of his grandparents in his office to remind him of how fortunate he is to be here. Because they were refugees from the Nazis who came to America and thrived here. They arrived on a Tuesday and his grandfather had a job by Thursday. Brilliant country full of opportunity.

That he is currently working to stop for other people.

Descendent of refugees working for an administration that is working to limit all immigration. Refugee resettlement, asylum seekers and available legal avenues for family.

Even though two out of three wives of the current president came in on questionable visas and his current in-laws got here through the horrible, believe him, horrible practice of chain migration.

Kushner also said that there is no way Trump is a racist because he would have seen it. You can not be not a racist for 69 years and then suddenly when you run for president you become one. Which is a true and solid point. And when asked if birtherism is racism (Trump's birtherism started before he declared for the election) Kushner responded with the solid logical well thought out, wasn't me...That wasn't the question. It wasn't did you push birtherism it was is birtherism racism. The interviewer could also have asked about the discrimination lawsuits and the Central Park 5, because Kushner was right, one does not just simply become a racist at 69.

He also asked Kushner what he would do if he hadn't been born into his very wealthy family. And Kushner said he had never thought about it.

He had never thought about it.

He had never considered what it might be like to not be so privileged that you are working as the top advisor to the President of the United States just because of the family you were born in to and the one you married in to. No other qualifications needed. No other skills required. No real security check allowed...

That sort of thinking, or not thinking, makes me so crazy. That cocoon of privilege. It leads to a lack of empathy. And to a smug sort of self righteousness as well. That whole, "well I'm successful so why isn't everyone?" Without ever considering how you actually got that way.

And you see it writ large in this administration. I got mine so fuck you.

And you see it in smaller ways in the world. The people who just don't understand why other people are upset about things. I mean, you aren't even trans so why do you care if they are being drummed out of the military and it's being made legal to medically discriminate against them? You should just go for a walk...

You are a citizen so why do you care about what is happening to the people who are coming here seeking asylum? You don't have to worry about such things. You should just go out and have a good day instead.

You are menopausal and your tubes are tied on top of that. Why do you care about abortion rights? I don't care. I am too busy making my life grand!

I don't understand people like that. I don't get the thought process behind don't care about things. And to be perfectly honest I fucking hate the condescending, I'm too busy living my best life to care, attitude. I mean, sure, live your best life. I am all in on that. I think we should all be living our best lives. But if your best life has no room in it for considering others then your best life is a fucking hollow shell.

So yeah, that shallow little I'm great so the world is great life works for Kushner and people like him.

For me?

I'm going to live my best life and keep yelling about the things that are stopping others from doing the same...

Because I have thought about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment