Monday, May 13, 2019

Memory Lane....(NJ part 3)

"Excuse me, I have to answer this call."

Dane had been giving Jean a tour of the lab and explaining the donation process.

"Yes, I understand. No, that's fine. I will clear my schedule for the next two days...Okay, what time will the plane be leaving?... Oh...okay. Will there be time to stop by the house and...okay...Okay...I'll be ready then. Thank you."

Dane held up a finger to Jean with an apologetic smile and made another call. "Hey, is there anyway you can pack a bag for me and drop it off here at the lab in...umm...well an hour?... Yeah, they've moved the testimony to tomorrow and they are sending a car to pick me up here at 4. I just don't have time to wrap things up here, go home, pack and be back here in time....Thanks I really appreciate it...They think two days, but pack for three just to be sure....Yeah, the charcoal suit with something sort of plain. Not the zombie brains tie for sure...Thanks again. I'll see you soon."

Dane smiled apologetically at Jean. "So, sorry about that. Apparently I'm testifying before a Senate subcommittee tomorrow."

"Wow."

"Yeah, wow. They have decided to hold hearings and possibly start putting extra restrictions on the industry. Of course they know nothing about the industry but that's never stopped them before. They just can't resist. The California case is like catnip to them. Lots of television time and bloviating about 'obviously' and 'of course we should' and whatever else makes them look good without having to take the time to actually know what they are talking about. And once they start the hearing they can just add on the law enforcement pressure as well."

Jean was shocked, "Law enforcement pressure?"

"They are saying they want mandatory reporting of any crimes we uncover, but what they really want is access to our technology to use when questioning suspects."

"But..."

"Yes, but... It doesn't work that way. We've explained it over and over again but they are sure we are hiding something. And we already fall under the reporting guidelines of mental health practitioners. It's why we only use licensed therapists and MDs for donation services. There is a confidentiality agreement in place, just in case there is overlap of the memory they are donating and one that they would rather not have seen. And the disclosures they fill out do let them know if we see evidence of certain crimes we are obligated to report."

Dane was pacing the hallway, "And it really should fall under privacy laws. Or unreasonable search and seizure. I mean if you can't force someone to unlock their phone you sure as hell shouldn't be able to force someone to open their memory banks right?"

Jean nodded.

"I'm sorry. It's just so frustrating. They have no idea what they are talking about but it won't stop them from making laws around us."

"Well I guess you'll just have to do a really good job in your testimony explaining why they aren't needed."

"I am going to do my level best, that's for sure. And with that, I hate to do this to you but I'm going to send you back to Gloria and reschedule your lab training with someone else tomorrow."

"Oh no, I totally understand. Good luck. And, Dane?"

"Yes?"

"Make it memorable."

Dane groaned, "It really is a terrible joke isn't it?"


No comments:

Post a Comment