Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Welp...

So I got the rejection notice from the piece I submitted last month. No contest winning entry for me.

I'm bummed, because of course I am. I'm competitive and when I compete I want to win. And even though I thought the story was a little weak I do actually normally mostly feel I'm a good writer. But I haven't ever been able to break through.

I told Brent I didn't win and his response was "Contests are hard, it's just one winner and a lot of people enter. The odds weren't good." True.

I told Dana and she was really ducking proud of my rejection because it means I submitted something and we both know how ducking hard it is for me to actually get out of my own ducking head and click that submit button. And the goal for this year was three submissions, not to actually win a contest or get something published. So really this was a triumph. She's a good ducking friend even if she is calling me a bitch right now.

So I'm bummed. BUT... I also have a story in my pocket now to use on the blog this month when I hit a day where I don't have anything to write about. AND the first review of the game C has been working on came out today and they really liked it so that made today a good day.

Here is the link so you can read it for yourselves.

I'll probably never play more than a few seconds of this game, too complicated for me at this point, but I am so excited for it to come out. He's been working on it since graduation. It will be his first major game. I still have his mobile game from his senior project on my phone and this will sit on a shelf in the house as well. You never stop being proud of your kids and what they accomplish. It's so exciting to see something that he has worked so hard on come to fruition.

And to be able to talk about it.

For the first stretch he couldn't even tell us what kind of game it was. Or the name. Or the release time frame. We just knew the studio and that there was a paycheck. So each milestone we've been able to share has been exciting.

He's wanted to do this since elementary school and I am amazed that he's followed it through and is doing it. Who picks a career in elementary school? So yeah, I'm extremely proud of him. And I'm super excited about the game coming out. And I'm beyond thrilled that the first game play review is positive.

And all of that adds up to me needing to submit two more pieces this year, getting an actual rejection instead of a radio silence (which is SO much worse), having a piece in reserve to post on a lazy day, having my husband and my friend give me exactly the reactions that I needed, and then all of that fading away as soon as I saw what C had received. All in all not a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment