Sunday, May 6, 2018

Books...

As you know my reading challenge for this year is a two parter. I've got the overall goal of 64 books but the other piece of it is reading a book a year for every year I've been alive. Then I took that goal and made a few guidelines around it. No repeating authors and reading them in order (the chosen ones), which has made it a little more complicated. But so far so good. When I've been waiting for the next year book from the library I've filled in with the extra 14 I will need to read to reach the number goal, and not counting those as the year they were published (so you see the difference between the chosen ones and the extras).

I've also moved down the list of choices for a year. If I can't get the book from the library, or a digital copy at all which was the case for some of them, I move on to the next choice for the year. Or the next. Or the next. And in the case of 1990 I just went ahead and bought the book (it was only $6) that I really wanted to read, because it was my fault I didn't have the library copy anyway. See, I put it on hold early, it is a Discworld book and there is ALWAYS a long wait for those. So I put a hold on it early, and it came available much sooner than I needed it, so I returned it and put a hold on it again. And it popped right back up. So I put it on a delayed hold. And it came due AGAIN before I needed it so I put it on an a delayed hold again and...waited. And waited. And waited. And finally went and bought it. Ugh. If I had just checked it out the last time I would have been within the 21 day window to return it before it came due. But oh no...I wanted to give someone else a chance and they SCREWED me with their slow reading...

But you know, no big deal...I mean really I'm up to 1990 and haven't had to buy a book before that one. Well a couple of them I bought, but I had bought them before and they were just in my digital library waiting for a re-read so...and honestly I don't mind buying books because you should pay for art, it's just that I read so much that I cannot afford to support all of the books so I support the library as well. That's what I tell myself anyway...

But back to the point, today I will start 1991. I'm reading "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" for 1991. I've never read it. I've never even seen the movie. I've heard of it, of course. I even remember seeing the commercials for it, but I never watched it. Nothing blows up, as far as I know, so it's not my standard movie. So now I will pick up the book and see if I like it.

There have been a few of those books on the list. The ones that I know about but don't know. This has been a chance to pick them up. Or to try and pick them up only to find no digital copy or too long of a wait list. I'm also making a secondary "go back to" list of books by year for those. Who knows when I'll get to to them though. That has been the real lesson in this experiment for me so far. There are so many books that even with how much I read I will never make it through them all.

And by doing this, and adding and adding and adding, to my wish list of books I am just digging myself a deeper hole in to the unread dimensions. Because, for the most part, that's what I am doing with new books right now. Instead of buying them now I'm adding them to my wish list and will buy them later, or get them for gifts, and they will be picked up next year. So far I'm about 20 books behind for 2018. There are always new books out there. And old books I missed the first time around. And favorite books that I want to reread because I love them.

And I'm just adding to it. I write my short stories and add to your reading lists, because OF COURSE you stop and read my blog before digging in to the latest from your favorite author. Or you hit like and pretend you read it and that works for me as well. Sort of. I mean until I ask you what you thought and you have no idea I just wrote a story about a pack of monsters and a story about a married couple who have different ideas on romance and have no idea what to say... but I won't quiz you, usually. I mean, maybe if I'm feeling ornery.

Okay, so after all of that build up, my real point of this blog. What is your favorite book from 1994?

Long road to walk to get to that one...but it's the next year I don't have anything lined up for so I'm asking, and you can add in 1995 as well if you'd like. Any help would be, well, a help.

No comments:

Post a Comment