Saturday, January 4, 2014

If that's moving up then I'm moving out...

We've been talking about moving. For years. We go back and forth between deciding we are for sure moving to a new place and just thinking we will remodel this place. Both are expensive propositions and so it becomes sort of a toss up where money is concerned. We aren't sure what C is going to do after graduation so we go back and forth on how small we could go. Even if he doesn't get a job right away he would get one sooner rather than later and it could be anyplace in the US. Or Canada. Or Japan. So who knows what we will end up needing. A place with a guest room or a place with actual space for him?

And then the toss up between do we want a small house with a yard in the hills or a cool condo with a lovely deck downtown? And I want certain things that we are discovering seem to only come with bigger houses. Like a nice kitchen. With a decent hood vent. And smooth counter tops for baking and pasta.  And I want a nice tub. That's not as important as a nice kitchen, but I've missed having a nice tub so that would be lovely. But hard to find in a house that isn't a McMansion, which we don't want. So we've stayed put. And looked at houses online. And gone to a couple open houses and looked at them. And today we are going to look at a farmhouse on 3 acres where I could have chickens and bees and maybe a cow.

Yeah, I know right? The chickens and bees are probably more realistic than the cow unless I could find someone to help me take care of it. But chickens and bees I think I could handle on my own. I like the idea of having fresh eggs and taking care of a few chickens. Not a lot. My grandfather had a really large coop and that's more than I want. Maybe three. And the bees just seem like a good idea if you have land. Just to help set up colonies. And we have people here that will take care of the hives, they just need space to place them.

Will we end up with the house in the hills with the farm land? Who knows. But you never know until you look. Maybe what I want isn't the downtown city condo with the restaurants and shopping in walking distance but the farmhouse with the woods of my own and chickens to give me fresh eggs and a cow to milk and a yard to tend. And really cute farmer overalls to wear while I do it all. I've never really thought I would end up tending to farm animals but over the past few years the idea has taken root and seems more and more appealing. Instead of high heels and business suits maybe rubber boots and work gloves? Who knows...

“We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come. -” Joseph Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment