Sunday, January 12, 2014

Grown ups...

Watching the Golden Globes tonight and Jared Leto won for Dallas Buyers Club. I told Brent that right at that moment women across the country were saying something about Jordan Catalano. And then had to explain who Jordan Catalano was and while I was telling him my Jordan Catalano story I thought...BOOM! I have a blog!

For those of you who don't know Jared Leto played Jordan on My So Called Life. He was the bad boy that Angela Chase loooooved. And he represented an important turning point for me. As I watched Angela moon over Jordan I kept thinking, "No! No, Angela, you are too good for him! This is not a good match! Nothing about this is a good idea!" Yes, he was gorgeous. But he was also moody and disinterested and not a great guy and oh my god I was acting like a grownup! I was thinking more like Angela's mother than I was identifying with Angela! What the actual fuck?

So yes, Jordan Catalano was an important turning point for me. It was because of him that when I went back and watched Sixteen Candles I realized that Jake was awful. Bad boys weren't the good guys. They were called bad for a reason. My mother had always said men don't change and I was finally starting to see she was right. Oh holy shit...this was going to ruin everything! Every movie where the girl ends up with the bad boy was going to start to piss me off instead of make me get all misty. My patience with friends who would continually date the bad boy was going to be gone. It wasn't romantic, it was stupid!

Now to be fair I already knew this in real life. I dated very few bad boys and I learned pretty quickly that they weren't my taste. I have very little tolerance for being treated like shit. Even if the person doing it has soulful eyes and pouty lips. But I was still buying in to it on TV shows and in movies. It was so romantic...And here I was watching Angela and thinking she needs to give that nice boy Brian Krakow a chance...at the ripe old age of 26 it was all ruined for me.

So I guess what I have to say is...Thank god for Joss Whedon and Spike. Whew...

No comments:

Post a Comment